Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Misc. of my favorite bands

From: Serling%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Living in the Twilight Zone <Serling%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 86 12:13:29 EST
Subject: Misc. of my favorite bands

Greetings. Though I've no experience as a reviewer, I thought I'd give it
a shot with a few bands that intruige <sp> me...

The Stranglers - I practically worship these guys! I was recommended
   _Aural Sculpture_ at first, and I REALLY liked it. Some of my favorite
   stuff is off of it, <which is their most recent album>, such as 'No Mercy',
   'Ice Queen', and 'Mad Hatter'. As for their early stuff <77/78>, it's quite
   punky, and it's a bit hard to swallow, though some of it is VERY amusing,
   such as 'Bring on the Nubiles' with a chorus of 'Lemme lemme f*ck ya f*ck ya'
   Their lead vocalist, Hugh wots-his-name, is someone who I find I can listen
   to over and over withouth getting the least bit tired of what I'm hearing.
   The sound of the last two albums, _Aural Sculpture_ and _Feline_, is very
   similar, whereas the few previous to them <_La Folie_, _The Men in Black_,
   and _The Raven_> have a slightly hard edge to them <i.e. a greater con-
   centration on guitar> but are still very enjoyable, and I find most of
   their stuff 'lyrically rich'.

The Chameleons - I know very little about these guys, except that I am very
   impressed with their first two albums. The first, _Script of the Bridge_,
   as well as their most recent, _What does anything mean? Basically._ have
   a unique sound which I cannot fully describe. Their sound has changed
   slightly between albums, as can be seen by the opening instrumental track
   on their latest album < <which is one of my favorite tracks from it> Anyway,
   lyrically they're kinda strange, but what else is new in music these days.

The Passion Puppets - Interesting. I've only heard what I'm told is their
   second album, 'Beyond the Pale', and I feel the sound is good, but the
   lead's voice tends to get to me after a while.

The Blue Nile - From the people I've asked regarding this band, the impression
   I get is that you either like them alot or find them boring. I happen to
   like them alot. Granted, the first I heard of them was their single, 'Stay',
   which does not, in the least, typify the album, but the slow beat, the
   different types of sounds, the lyrics, etc on the rest of the album combine
   very nicely to give a mellow type of consistency. Their only album I know
   of, _A Walk across the Rooftops_, was released in '83. Anyone have any idea
   what happened, or what's going on?

I think that's a sufficent attempt. Any other comments/info would be greatly
appreciated!
                                             Mitch