Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

some random responses

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 86 12:02:31 EST
Subject: some random responses

Re: movies

Uhhh... what exactly did Atrocity Joelll mean when he said Cabinet of
Dr. Caligari turned him away from the avant-garde in movies? Which
version did you see? I've seen the ollldddddd version with Conrad Veidt
as Cesare, still impressive after all these years. I think there's been
remakes since then tho...

I also saw Tommy a few months ago...personally, I thought it would be
an embarrassment to the Who, but I know people who liked it. Quadrophenia
is quite a trip, tho.

Re: depressing music

Never one to resist contributing to depressing music polls, here goes...
Other than the great depressing groups mentioned so far (e.g., the Cure,
Joy Division) don't forget Bauhaus. While they're a little too much the
poseurs to be depressing all the time, they did write some great angsty
music. Slice of Life (from BURNING FROM THE INSIDE) paints gray, grimy
street scenes with angry whispered vocals and jangly guitars. There's
also the wonderfully sardonic "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything" from
THE SKY'S GONE OUT.

I also find Sonic Youth (oh no! Not again...:-) great depressing stuff.
The experience is a little different tho; the intense music and sardonic
stream-of-consciousness lyrics just about eat up what little sanity
you have left and spit it out again totally mangled...

Re: Bad news about Peter Gabriel

I hope he's joking.

					Bill Hsu