Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various recent 'hot topics'

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 23 Mar 86 17:42:00 PST
Subject: Various recent 'hot topics'

My opinions by category :

Depressing Music :

	(1) Berlin (the whole album) by Lou Reed
	(2) Songs From a Room (the whole album) by Leonard Cohen
	(3) The rest of the collective works of Leonard Cohen
	(4) Waterlow by Mott the Hoople (Wildlife LP)
	(5) Cyborg by Klaus Schulze (all 4 sides)
	(6) Halloween by Pulsar (the whole album)
	(7) Apocalypse des Animaux-Generique by Vangelis (soundtrack LP
	    of the same name)
	(8) Ocean of Tenderness by Ash Ra Temple (New Age of Earth LP)
	(9) Dans le Vent, Dans le Temps by Pascal Languirand (MINOS LP)
	(0) Julia by Pavlov's Dog (Pampered Menial LP)

Cloudbursting Video :

	I like it, nice to see an ocasional musical artwork on MTV

Australia :

I was most interested to see that many persons out there in netland are
Aussie sympaths of one form or another.  It is indeed true that Australian
cultural artwork is taking US down under.  Interestingly enough as Americans
(although we may not want to admit it, always) we share more in common with
Australia than with any other country.  In fact, most Aussies will tell you
that they feel more closely allied, emotionally and in heritage with the
States than they do with Great Britian or other country of desendentry.  I
for one plan to migrate there within the next 5 or so years.  It is a whole
different world waiting to be explored.  What is truly amazing is the live
music scene in the major citiesz down there.  Sydney, for example, has some
of the most amazing clubs I've ever attended.  I can't imagine someone not
being able to find their 'type' of prefered music being performed somewhere.
For art types, Kings Cross (Sydney's Combat Zone) is alive with artforms
whose expression is unique, to say tyhe least.  Anybody out there who is
seriously contemplating an Acdademic life style should definately check out
the possibilities in the Australian universities.  Also, since Aussie tech-
nology is slightly behind ours, Enghineering types (esp electronic) would
do well to look to Australian Industries (esp Telcom [Australia's version
of ATT]).  Of course, the isolation makes Australia - Not for Everybody -
but if everybody migrated there it would be trashed as was the USA and
perfectlyt beautiful cities like Sydney, Hobart, Perth and Brisbane would
start to resemble New York, Detroit, LA and Atlanta, respectively.
It should be obvious that I am sold on Australia.  Maybe there is room for
a special interest group for saring of insights, experiences, and questions
concerning matters, Auastralian.  Any suggestions?

Strange Movies :

	Lest we forget the early Don Johnson (Miami Vice) flicks:
	A Boy and his Dog (This is a must see although I havent seen it
	in distribution lately.  It is available on cassette, though.
	Zachariah - (should be subtitled 'Don Johnson shoots it out with
	Country Joe and the Fish, in the 1850's west with the James Gang
	playing Electric Guitars through Marshall Amps')

	Dark Star - John Carpenter's SI/FI contribution while still a
	student.

	Barberella - Jane Fonda's nude performance.  Has some strangely
	sensual moments, a strange plot, and a comic book quality which
	has since been unmatched.

	The Tingler (I think) - an early Boris Karloff movie about adrenal
	glands and halucinogens.  Oddly enough, Karloff describes the
	effects of LSD (as an acid) before its discovery at Sandoz.  Also,
	the extr4acts of the adrenal gland are reffered to (ala the infamous
	accounting of adrenochrome by Gonzo in Fear and Loathing in Las
	Vegas).  This is of special interest to buding neuropharmacologists.

	Joe - Peter Boyle in his (I think) best role ever.  This one rates
	due to its potryal of mass-hysteria in a way that almost makes
	violence seem plausable as a form of behavior control.

There, Ive said it ... #{lame me now or forever hold your p****,

"Noam Chomsky is a Cunning Linguist"

Johgn

------