Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Picnic at Hanging Rock

From: jdarnold@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 86 08:03:58 -0500
Subject: Picnic at Hanging Rock

PaHR is one of my all time favorite movies by my all time favorite
director, Peter Weir.  Something you forgot to mention: the music in
this movie is incredible!  I would do anything to get the soundtrack,
esp. on CD!  Mostly using the Pipes-of-Pan, by that all time favorite
(he even has a Send-Before-Midnight-Tonight-World's-Greatest-Record on
TV album) Zamfir, the music and the soft focus and beautiful young
girls all contribute to a very eerie and hard to shake atmosphere
piece.  It was on the Arts & Entertainment network a few weeks ago and
I finally got it on Video tape.  This particular showing was really
marred by commercial breaks (which has destroyed many a great movie,
especially atmosphere pieces), but with a quick trigger finger, I
carefully avoided recording them.  If it should ever come to a
theater, tho, check this one out!

Also by Peter Weir (all of which are excellent movies):
	The Last Wave - weird movie of the apocalypse, with Richard
Chamberlin
	Gallipoli - somewhat slow war movie with Mel Gibson
	Year of Living Dangerously - another excellent soundtrack by a
someone-I-can't-right-now-recall Jarre, with Mel Gibson and Sigourney
Weaver; another incredible atmosphere movie
	Witness - Academy Award nominations out the wazoo - definitely
my Picture, Director, and Actor of the Year (Harrison Ford was superb);

Heard on 'FNX yesterday - my current #1 song is by The Call: I Still
Believe, and the DJ said that Peter Gabriel helps out (does the
vocal?) on 1 song on their album (as does that twerp lead singer of
Simple Minded, oh well, few things are perfect!).

		<J.D.>

PS: I'll get back to you on the Goanna album, perhaps with a
discography.  I too am big on things Aussie and have friends "down"
there.  Aussie movies are my specialty.