Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB Mini-LPs, Sailors, Throwing Muses, etc.

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 86 20:00:22 EST
Subject: KB Mini-LPs, Sailors, Throwing Muses, etc.

> Really-From: ROBB LEATHERWOOD

> I saw, at my local record store, a 12" Mini-Album by Kate Bush.
> It's called "Kate Bush on Stage" and it's on Harvest records.  The
> pictures and the 4 songs listed on the back are the same as the 7"
> single of the same name that I saw in Jim Lippard's boxed set of KB
> singles.  Now, this would be fine and dandy, but there's a sticker
> on the front that says that the EP contains 6 songs.  Either the
> sticker is lying or the list on the back is.  Does anybody know the
> answer to this?

KB has two EPs.  One is "Kate Bush On Stage", and has the four songs
listed on the back.  This one was never released in the U.S., but
might have been released in Canada, for all I know.  The other is
"Kate Bush" and is an EMI-America compilation album.  (It was never
released in England).  The U.S. version has five songs and the
Canadian version has six songs.

Don't always believe stickers.  "The Dreaming" has the sticker that
says "Contains 'Suspended In Gaffa' as seen on MTV'.  Right.  Maybe
MTV showed it twice.  And the most recent U.S. pressing of "Never for
Ever" has a sticker which says "Featuring 'Never for Ever'".

Now, there is *no* song "Never for Ever" on the album, but putting
that sticker on the album sure is a way to drive KB fans crazy,
because Kate *did* record a song called "Never for Ever", but she
decided to leave it off the album.

> And what is Kate doing on Harvest records?

KB was originally on Harvest in the U.S.  The first U.S. pressing of "The
Kick Inside" was on Harvest and had the Canadian cover.  She was very
shortly moved to EMI-America, however.  In Canada, she was probably on
Harvest for a longer period of time.

> Another Kate question:  Now that I have what I have, what should I
> get next?  Never For Ever?  Lionheart?  Or some singles or what?

Get "Never for Ever" and listen to mostly the second side.  Pick up
the "December Will Be Magic Again" single too.

> From: Shelli

> Is this recording ["Kate Bush On Stage"] from Kate Bush Live at the
> Hammersmith (or whatever...  Hammer-something, at any rate...like
> the video?)

Yup, it is.  "Recorded Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, 13 May 1979 --
Play it Loud".

>> She's not talking about *seamen* is she?  Gosh.  Is the feeling of
>> old seamen inside you something that is fun to remember?  Perhaps
>> some of the women on the list would like to elaborate.

> No, I don't care to elaborate...

Awww...  Cum on!

			"But you're not a swallow"

			 Doug

P.S. I saw The Throbbers, The Anti-Zeroes, Black Cat Bone, Uzi, and
Throwing Muses at The Rat last night.  It was a great show.  The last
three groups were awesome.  The main person in Throwing Muses was
incredibly PG, however (no she wasn't in a movie -- she was like, you
know, Mary with child expect that the father wasn't God, like you
know).  I was scared she might have the kid there on stage.  (All this
is pretty strange, because the last time I went to my dentist, she was
incredibly pregnant too.)

I wonder how much this will delay Throwing Muses album.  And whether
their music will become all blissful and starry-eyed.  Their encore
song had something in it about dying rabbits, so things look pretty
good.  With my luck if I asked the author about those lyrics, however,
and said "You're saying something about your pregancy when singing
about dying rabbits, right?", she'd probably say "No, I'm talking
about rabbits and about death.  You're pretty weird."