Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bizarro wierd stuff...

From: CUTTER%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Local UMass address is Cutter@Mailer.CY175)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 86 01:02:28 EST
Subject: Bizarro wierd stuff...

1 - Picked up "The Dreaming". Kate Bush is the most extremely wicked
pissah awesome artist I've ever heard.

2 - I quoted part of this in my first message, and someone re-quoted
them in the last issue. Here is the whole song, known as "Piece of
Mind", which seems to be an outtake from the "Sgt Pepper" album, and
it is an outtake for obvious reasons - too bleeping wierd. Almost
pushes the limits of "psychedelic". The copy I have sux rox so maybe
one or two words ain't right...

"I'm looking at the candle burns the flame to meet the sky
 I hear the candle laughing, I turn my face to cry
 The safety pin returns my smile, I nod a brief hello
 While you are building molecules with your garden hoe.
 White canvas laughs forever, these things repressed inside
 One feels it almost instantly, unless the novice died
 It's over, it's done, paper needed again,
 Just please please please, oh don't keep me from begin
 I need to hear the colors red and blue, with whispered words
 To fly all day and sing in tune and not hear what I heard
 To see you all around me and to take you by the hand
 And lead you to a brand new world that lately has been found
 We'll build things never built before and do things never done
 And just before it's over, it's really just begun.
 Hush..."

Pretty wierd, huh? Definately drug-induced, but even so it beats
Wham!...

Has anyone picked up the latest (new as of 1/27) Mike Oldfield single?
I was over in Amherst, MA, during the broadcast of an extremely fine
college radio show known as "Non Sequiter Theatre" which plays a lot of
cool shit, from XTC to Frank Chickens to The Jazz Butcher to The Cramps,
and the DJ played the single. Very reminiscent of things like "Tricks of
the Light", like Oldfield is still in "Discovery" mode. Pretty good,
don't remember what the b-side is.

Speaking of XTC, saw the video for "Mole of the Ministry"... ever seen
that promo film the Beatles did for "Strawberry Fields Forever"? Yeah,
well, it looks like Partridge et al overdosed on watching it... Less
silent-film-ish, but it suits the song well. Also caught the video for
PiL's new one, "Rise". Lydon looks reminiscent of Dr. Lizardo, replete with
red hair on end and bug eyes. Then again, Lydon USUALLY looks like that.
He's also the only one from the band in the video. Hmmm...

Enough drivel. Later.

               "I'll find a place somewhere in the corner
                I'm gonna waste the rest of my days
                Just playing solitaire by the window
                Just watching seasons change..."

                                                Joe