Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rema Rema / CTwins (again?) / XTC

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 86 14:04:05 -0800
Subject: Rema Rema / CTwins (again?) / XTC

###########
# WARNING #	This message contains one (1) dirty word of the "s" variety.
###########

Hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA writes:
>Up until this point, I didn't know
>of Big Black doing any covers but Albini kept referring
>to this Rema, Rema as if everyone should know what he was
>talking about.  Probably an inside joke ... I haven't the
>foggiest.     The label says Rema, Rema was written
>by someone named Rema Rema of whom I have never heard.

I don't know who/what Rema Rema is/are/was/were either, but the song
"Fond Affections" on the "This Mortal Coil" LP (most of which are
covers, performed by various people on the 4AD label) is listed as
having been written by him/her/them/it.

And "Fond Affections" sounds absolutely nothing like what you describe
that "Rema, Rema" song as sounding like . . . this is some horrible
in-joke that everyone knows about but me, right?  And you'll all start
laughing after I post this message, right?

************

"James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA> writes:
>Are they named after Jean Cocteau, the French writer and Grand Master of
>the Prieure' de Sion ... ?

The Trouser Press Guide to New-Wave records states that "the name derives
from an old Simple Minds song".  Being unfamiliar with the Simple Minds'
old, presumably good, stuff that doesn't get played on the radio like their
new shit [yes, I do think that was the correct word], I have no idea
what they're talking about.  Does anyone know?  And where did the Simple
Minds get it from?

... and just to bring up a new topic, does anyone know the lowdown on
the fate of XTC ?  Last I heard, unsubstantiated rumor had it they'd
broken up due to Virgin kicking them out.  Can it be?  What a shame, as
the "Dukes of Statosphear" thingy was the best album they'd done since
"English Settlement" ...

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu