Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

I didn't come here for an argument.

From: David M. Hardy <HAADAV@MITVMA>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1986 16:34 EST
Subject: I didn't come here for an argument.

> From: hsut@ed.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)

> David Hardy (paraphrase): Widespread use of obscenities shows a deficiency
>                                         in the ability to communicate

> I personally don't think that using obscenities has anything to do
> with somebody's ability to communicate. A much better benchmark is to
> see if they love convoluted sentences like mine :-) :-)

This was not the point of my posting, only one sentence in it.  But at
least the poster of this was able to explain himself without name calling
or more profanity.  This says something about communication to me right
away, and helps (at least to me) to emphasize some of what I said.

> Seriously, I've known people who write and talk brilliantly AND use
> lots of obscenities/profanities (e.g., Allen Ginsburg :-) :-) There's
> obviously no correlation between the two.

I'm not out to try and come up with a proof of some correlation; only
stating some observances of mine in the last few months or so.  That's a
correlation TO ME, obviously not to everyone.  It's very simple.  The
nicest, most interesting people I've talked to don't swear at me.

By the way, who is Allen Ginsburg?