Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: big 10" of RUTH

From: jordan@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (Jordan Hayes)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 86 11:16:29 PST
Subject: Re: big 10" of RUTH

	Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

	Why does using all of the power of the medium provided provided
	by 12" singles imply that Kate has anything to learn about
	production of dance mixes?

Because we're not talking about using all the extra bandwidth of
a 12" (ever notice how the grooves are further apart? Does wonders for
the response of it ...) -- we're talking about the distortion that
results from this over production. I can hear it, and can even record
it as crosstalk when the track starts and ends. Witness, on the other
hand `I feel love / Johnny Remember me' by Bronski Beat / Marc Almond.

Now there is a really good re-mix. It, too, has a crescendo in the
signal strength, but it comes at the transition between the two songs
... which also doubles the beat into a frenzy and cues in the whole
band.

	Kate has said that she likes 12" singles specifically because
	they give her more dynamic range and bass response to work
	with.  I think that the 12" single is great exactly for the
	reasons you mention.

Well, fine, but it's a bitch to tape, and my tape deck has more
dynamic range and bass response than my turntable. I can just imagine
what that master looks like. Actually, I can hear it.

/jordan