Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My two cents

From: jordan@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (Jordan Hayes)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 10:08:58 PST
Subject: Re: My two cents

	Really-From: David M. Hardy <HAADAV@MITVMA>

	I find obscenity to be TOTALLY out of place in discussions of
	music or anything else.  I just can't take seriously anyone's
	opinion if they can't state it without swearing.

Look, I guess it's just a matter of what you call `obscene' ...

That's certainly a moral judgement call, and I think you're in a
position of being adult enough that if you can't take the discussions
going on here seriously that you would unsubscribe. I don't think we're
talking here about people who feel they "can't state it without
swearing" (by the way, swearing is much different than being obscene)
but rather using "those words" (which you may or may not be offended
by) has become commonplace. Look, we're living in an immoral world,
and I don't think you should project your morality on a group of
people who you associate with by choice.

That's called oppression.

	It shows that there is a certain lack of mental ability to
	communicate, when people have to refer to bodily or sexual
	functions in a vulgar way, when talking about something
	unrelated to them.

Communication, and it's effect on those who are being communicated
to has nothing to do with the `correctness' of speech. If you think so,
then you should only talk to your snobby friends who also have the
handle on `upper crust' communication. Being offensive is a right
that I covet strongly. Notice that I don't implore you to swear ...

	DISCLAIMER:  I'm not a geek, a wimp, nor an expert on language
	by any means.  If I was a language expert maybe I'd understand
	half of the bizarre phrases that are used here.  I'm not going
	to go away, either.

Right, but you are trying to force a moral issue. That makes you a
wimp, geek AND a weenie to boot.

	Flames and obscenities to /dev/null...

That's real brave of you. Throw in your two cents worth and then say
"I won't listen to your side".

Foo Bar. If you don't want to hear what I say, that's pretty close
minded.

Flames and obscenities to jordan@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!jordan).

/jordan

ps: god, have I complained recently how hard it is to tape the 12" of RUTH?