Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jack O'Roe and traditional themes

From: Hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 9:51:44 EST
Subject: Jack O'Roe and traditional themes

Jack O'Roe?  You might have better luck querying net.dead but from what I've
heard of the song - it is the same theme about a woman posing as a cabin boy
but the story is quite different.  Apparently, this Jack O'Roe is dressed as
such to follow her love into war.  I'm not sure if her sailor boyfriend finds
out who she is until the very end when she lies dying after saving him I think.
She states that she would rather see, "10,000 fall" than see her boyfriend die.
Again, my grasp of lyrics and facts is very tenuous.  But then what are facts,
anyway?  Usually things that get disproved later anyway.  Are we speaking
relativistspeak or redundantspeak?

So the Dead song is a lot less baudy and more sad.  So be it.

Alot of traditional songs (especially from England) make their way in varying
degrees to rock.  Stagger Lee comes to mind - I've heard the Dead do this
song and the Clash do this song and some old bluesmen do this song and each
time it's different.  Anyone know of other Stagger Lee "covers"?

Group                          Proposed Interpretation
-----
Dead			    Stagger Lee is a big bully who shoots
			     some dude named Billy(?).  Billy's
			    girlfriend shoots Stagger Lee's balls off
			    ("he shot my baby dead, now he's got to die")
			    when the police prove ineffectual ("you
				bust the girl who are turning tricks
				but you're scared of Stagger Lee").

Clash			    The Clash specifically warn Boyo to stay
			    away from STagger Lee.  He's dangerous
			    and will only hurt you.

old bluesman		    Typical male revenge song.  Billy blows
			    away Stagger or Stagger wins....

Jim Croce		    Same type of story, different name - Leroy
		            Brown.