Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

We let the weirdness in

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 19:56:14 EST
Subject: We let the weirdness in

> From: alfke@csvax.caltech.edu

> I've just borrowed a friend's copy of "The Dreaming" (I'm waiting for the
> disc release before I buy my own),

You may be waiting for an awfully long time, then.  "The Dreaming" was
not a huge sucess commercially in England.  "Never for Ever" is not
yet on CD and it was much more successful (it was Kate's other #1
album).  Just to give you an idea of the relative success of "The
Dreaming", it went gold in England (100,000 copies) after three years.
"Hounds of Love" went platinum (300,000 copies) in two months.

> and I'm wondering about the very end of "Leave it Open".  I always
> assumed that the backwards^2 voice said "We let loneliness in", but
> our noble moderator claims it's "We let the weirdness in".  I still
> think the first version sounds better, but now I'm unsure which is
> right.  Does anyone have the unvarnished gospel truth about what's
> really being sung?

Kate says that it's "We Let The Weirdness In".  In fact she ran a
contest in her newsletter to see who could get it right first.  I know
someone who called her up once a week, every week, for months, with
guesses.  He never got it right.  Personally I think he's bonkers.
But Kate says all her fans are wonderful people, so who am I to argue.

> If not, maybe we could vote or something.

I know some people who swear that's it "We let the madness in", even
knowing what Kate says it is.  But it sounds just like "We let the
weirdness in" to me.  In any case, who says Kate's right anyway?  She
is singing it bakwards, after all.  Do you get to make the
authoritative decision on what you are saying, when you are speaking
backwards?

> (I even --gasp-- keep my record collection in alphabetical order, for which
> I often get teased by my girlfriend.)

I only keep half my records in alphabetical order, to avoid getting
teased....

		"And they said they were very ill"

		 Doug