Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Here Comes The Flood

From: hsut@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Bill Hsu)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 86 11:56:43 EST
Subject: Here Comes The Flood

I don't have Fripp's Exposure, but I've heard both versions of HCTF. If
I didn't hear the piano solo version first, I probably would have hated
the song; all those mushy strings on the Peter Gabriel I version make it
one of the worst arrangements on the album. I'm pretty ambivalent about
the production on that album. Some of the already wonderful songs are
really enhanced (e.g. the Humdrum), but the awful strings on side 2 are
simply TOO MUCH. Kind of reminds me of the doodling on some very early
Genesis albums like Trespass.

Confession of the day: I bought my first Peter Hammill album only fairly
recently. Some of the ballads were a little too sappy for me, but the
upbeat rockers are all clever and effective. Did stuff like "Imperial
Zeppelin" and "Good Morning Sunshine" get much airplay when they first
came out? I seem to remember hearing some of them in my dubious past...

Bill Hsu

				"Makes you go where you can't go
				 Makes you want what you can't have
				 Desire..."