Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

In Remembrance of Pamela Stevenson

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 86 01:21:13 EST
Subject: In Remembrance of Pamela Stevenson

>> [Me:] If anyone thinks they know how "aresh aresh tomp pare hairdo"
>> should really read, or knows what a "Cop Boutique" is, please let
>> me know:

> [gtalylor:] I'm surprised that a dedicated obscurantist such as
> yourself could miss where "aresh" comes from.....after all, the
> author's name is right there in the song! Yep, good old Marcel Brust
> -oops, that's Proust.  The real title is "A la Recherche du Temps
> Perdu", translated in English as "The Remembrance of Things Past."

Oh well, so much for my knowledge of French literature...  Actually I
know of the book -- just not the author.

Good detective work!  I went back and listened to the song, and think
that the line is actually a play on the real title.  It now sounds
like

	Went to my hairdresser to have a hairdoo
	He asked if I him knew 'A la Recherche Tete-Temps Perdu"

> It's a 3 volume set of 7 "books" in the most elliptical Frogspeak
> you can imagine whose siren charms are known to all.  It is the
> novelistic equivalent of very good brandy. It will either entirely
> captivate your or put you right to sleep, just like you-know-who.

How much is lost or altered in translation, though?  I have enough
trouble with elliptical English Frogspeak, without trying to tackle
French Frogspeak.

	"La plume de ma tante est sur la beaureau de mon uncle
	 Et le papier de mon uncle est sur la beaureau de ma tante"

	 Doug