Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Last Word on Tones On Tail ; Random 1986 Observations

From: ia-sun2!smeagol!gorbag!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (Greg Earle)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 86 19:12:08 pst
Subject: Last Word on Tones On Tail ; Random 1986 Observations

To DIGITAL DAN:
	You got it backwards.  David Jay is in Love and Rockets, NOT in
Tones On Tail.  Also, the members of Tones On Tail were NOT all members
of Bauhaus; see below.

To ROBB LEATHERWOOD (shoo):
	The L & R LP with 'Ball of Confusion' added is the Canadian release.

To Everybody else:
	Here's the Bird's Eye Low-Down On This Caper (whatever that means):

Tones on Tail was formed in 1981 by Daniel Ash of Bauhaus, and Glenn Campling
(Bauhaus' Lighting/Road manager).  The first two singles (EP's) were the
product of these two alone.  Starting with single #3, Kevin Haskins (also
ex-Bauhaus) joined.  Discography follows (7" versions omitted) :

Tones On Tail EP			4AD BAD 203	(1982)
(Tracks:  A Bigger Splash / Copper // Means Of Escape /Instrumental)

There's Only One / Now We Lustre 12"	Beggars Banquet BEG 85T (1982)
[Wrigley's Fun Fact #1: 'Now We Lustre' is subtitled:
"(Beam Me Up Scotty, There's No Intelligent Life Down Here)"]
[Wrigley's Fun Fact #2: Ash is credited with 'Accoustic' (sic) guitars]

Burning Skies / OK, This Is The Pops // When You're Smiling / You The Night
and The Music 12"				Situation Two SIT 21T (1983)
[Wrigley's Fun Fact #3: This is the first record with Kevin Haskins]
[Wrigley's Fun Fact #4: These 3 EP's are what the compilation is culled from]

Performance / Shakes			Beggars Banquet BEG 106T (BLACK VINYL)
Lions / Go! (Club Mix)			Beggars Banquet BEG 109T (RED VINYL)
'Pop' LP				Beggars Banquet BEGA 51  (1984)
Christian Says / Twist			Beggars Banquet BEG 121T (BLUE VINYL)

[Wrigley's Fun Fact #5: When Love and Rockets played in L.A., they did an
acoustic version of "Lucifer Sam"; also "Go!"]

Random Musical Observations of 1986 From Yours Truly:

First Record of '86 to qualify for 'Who would have believed it, 9 years ago?':
	Public Image Ltd. - "Album"
First Record of '86 to qualify for 'Who would have believed it, 7 years ago?':
	Feargal Sharkey - "Feargal Sharkey"
First Record of '86 that makes all other '86 releases completely irrelevant:
	Princess Tinymeat - "Wigs On The Green" (B-side of "A Bun In The Oven")
First Record of '86 to remind me "When's the next Test Dept. record?":
	Swans - "Time Is Money (Bastard)"
Reasons To No Longer Avoid All Double Albums Like The Plague:
	Hula - "1000 Hours"
 	Severed Heads - "Clifford Darling, Please Don't Live In The Past"
Most Hilarious Quotations of '86:
	"Rich Rosen accounts for 2% of the net!  Ban Rich Rosen!!!"
	(To Larry Palena) "Stay Lame, Dude"
	[ Thanks to hof for these gems ]
Biggest Disappointments of '86:
	(1) Missing the reunion of the Original Christian Death
	(aside to hof: not only have I heard of 'em, you should find the
	1982 LP	"Only Theatre Of Pain" (Frontier) Right Away - features
	Rikk Agnew, guitarist for Adolescents and now DI).  They opened for
	Flesh For Lulu - it was advertised but the next ad saw C.D. removed.
	So I decided to bag it; they showed up anyway. SHIT.
	(2) Missing Youth Brigade and the Weirdos reunion due to
	ice-pick-pounding shit-I'm-gonna-die-fer-sure-level headache. SHIT 2.
Biggest Waste Of Newsprint In '86:
	Village Voice - "Spazz and Slop Pole"
Biggest Wanker Of '86:
	Robert Christgau (for including partial examples of random Poll
	ballots, but including ALL of his own under the pompous heading,
	"The Dean's List" - I could go on and on about his idiotic commentary,
	but (a) you're bored ; and (b) I don't want to waste the time.
	See hof's treatise from Feb. 20th for the general idea.
HOTTEST NEWS FLASH OF '86 (Just received *10 minutes* ago):
	Return of Siouxsie & The Banshees to Irvine Meadows Amplitheatre
	  (BOO - Fucking Mini Stadium) and Hollywood Palladium (Ehh... well)
	Return of Jesus and Mary Chain
	Return of Echo & The Bunnymen (first show in 3 years)

Best Album Of All Time:
	Boston "Boston"	(HEY!  Fugg you too - my brudder went to High School
			with the bass player, and 3 of them lived in my
			hometown, so piss off)

What?  Sarcasm?  Moi?
NOW, CAN WE END THIS SILLY DISCUSSION?

Hey Sue T. - An easier way to get your 15 minutes of fame would be to write
a disertation on why Spazz and Slop Polls are completely STUPID and a waste
of time, and send it to the Voice editor.  Then you can see your name in the
'Letters to the Editor' column in a helluva lot bigger typeface than that
3-point face (was it even 1/10" tall?) *your* name got put in .....

Hey Hoff -
	You say:
	Anyone can fart in a crowded room (i.e. net.music) - it
	takes a real MAN to shit on the ceiling ...

	Well I say (thinks: How Did *I* Wound Hofmann's Ass?):
	Musical opinions are like assholes -
	No matter how many real MEN get together in one small room
	and air them out at each other, when all is said and done,
	and everyone's left, everybody is gonna say to themselves
	'Boy, sure stunk in there!  Well, I know mine don't stink,
	so I guess everybody else's still stink just as bad as before
	I went in there!'

			Ciao,
			- Greg

(Your basic self-righteous, big ego'ed, Caltech geeko social misfit,
immature socially maladjusted 4 year old asshole, suffering from
"Critic's Disease" - or, at least that's what the GoF tell me)
Well Sheeit, that's enough verbal diarrhea from me for a while ...