Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Love and Rockets"

From: jdarnold@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 86 13:05:47 -0500
Subject: "Love and Rockets"

No, that's a group, not the opening line of electronic erotica!

After reading a glowing review of Love and Rockets' newest (only?)
record in (of all places!) the Boston Globe, I decided to have a look
see.  The review mentioned that "Dreams of a Teenage Heaven" was only
available as an import, as their deal with RCA had fallen through, but
that it was well worth the extra bucks.  After meandering down to the
nearest CO-OP, I found not only the album, but that it was on sale!
So I said, sure, let's give it a shot.

Boy, was that every a good idea!  Despite the somewhat boring title
track (as was mentioned in the review), this is one listenable record,
bringing to mind the best of OMD and other of the British synth-pop
groups.  Intricate instrumentals, wry lyrics and intriguing guitar
"breaks" all contribute to one of the best album purchases I've made
since Yaz's "You and Me Both".

To give you a better idea of my tastes, here's my quicky "7 records to
a desert island" list:

1) Yaz - You and me both
2) Goanna - Spirit of Place
3) Alan Parson's Project - I Robot
4) Rubber Rodeo - Scenic Views
5) The Bongos - Numbers with Wings
6) "Popeye" soundtrack by Nilsson (to satisfy my whimsical moods)
7) Pink Floyd - The Wall

-- Obligatory Kate Bush note --

The Boston Phoenix even liked HoL! Of course, it got only 3 stars
and who really cares what the Boston Phoenix thinks, but it just goes
to show you that even critics aren't TOTALLY wrong ALL the time!

	Jonathan Arnold
	MIT - Project Athena

	She took his gun,
	She took his knife,