Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rites of Spring and hip media people

From: Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 86 11:24:51 EST
Subject: Rites of Spring and hip media people

Rites of Spring album is on Dischord rather than Fountain of Youth
records but I'm sure if you sent a note to Fountain of Youth (and
some $) they would probably get it to you being as they are close
in both idealogy and friendship.  Rites of Spring was one of my
favorite albums of 1985 (along with Beefeater on Dischord also) but
was spurned by Hip, Media Celebrities in the Village Voice.  But
then they are all part of the "establishment" they so ranted about
in the 60's and Dischord is definitely anti-"establishment" and
they sell their records for silly prices like 5 bucks postage paid.
So Village Voice and all the other wankers who "contribute" to it
is in the record industry hip pocket helping to bring "the next wave"
out of the underground and into recording contracts (see the REplacements
and Husker Du...) and spurn anyone who doesn't tow that line so
you Won't be seeing any Dischord releases talked about in the VV (also
Dischord sends out very, very, very few promo copies and this PISSES
off critics like Christgau who feel the music world should send
them like two copies so Bobby can have the best record collection
outside of Midnight Sun in NYC - certainly Dischord DOESN'T send
promos to such crass (the name of an English simililarly minded group
of individuals) commercial Murdochish things like Village Voice) [Whew]

So don't feel so "hip" about helping Rupert Murdoch's paper out, Sue.
Go find the Beefeater or Rites of Spring release or better yet check
out the new Snakes release on that label.  Or buy HR's album on Fountain
of Youth.

			"you have arms/you have legs/you have
                          freedom" - jim hofmann (hey, I know it's wrong but
                                        I LIKE that
					quote better!)