Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

((((((((((((($$$)))))))))))))))

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 17:56:05 EST
Subject: ((((((((((((($$$)))))))))))))))

Well, I logged onto my account after three days away, expecting the usual
loads of Love-Hounds messages, and was appalled at how few there were.  Is
this what we can expect with Doug Alan taking on some (gasp) respectable
job?  Anyway, I got a laugh out of this column in Melody Maker.  But then
again, maybe I'm just strange.  Hee.

SOUND-ALIKES

1. PRINCE AND PHIL COLLINS
   Well, they're both tiny and we don't like either of them and...could
*you* tell the difference between "Sussudio" and "1999"?  Thought not.

2. PET SHOP BOYS AND AL STEWART
   We wondered what had happened to Al Stewart, former bard of the
bedsits (brit word for suburbs - st) and hey presto, he turns up as
the Pet Shop Boys.  "West End Girls" is "Year Of The Cat"...but shorter.
(has anyone actually heard "West End Girls"? -st)

3. DAVID SYLVIAN AND BRYAN FERRY
   Suave, sophisticated, cultured and...wallies the pair of them.  The
only difference is that Ferry is a better dancer.  (them's fightin'
words - st)

4. FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS AND AL JOLSON
   It's only a matter of time.  The remarkably tonsilled and preposterously
named Roland Gift is already halfway there with "Suspicious Minds."  Next
single just has to be "Mamie."

5. MARILLION AND GENESIS
   The old ones are still the best.  Fish gets very upset if you even
*think* about Genesis in the same minute as Marillion.  So just for you,
Fish baby...MARILLION SOUND LIKE GENESIS!

6. ROD STEWART AND BONNIE TYLER
   They sound similar because they had their throats sandpapered at the
same voice clinic.  In fact there are many theories that they are one
and the same person.  Have *you* ever seen them together?

7. GREEN ON RED AND NEIL YOUNG
   If it wasn't bad enough having the real thing plaguing us for most of
last year, we also had to suffer imitations by the likes of Green On Red.
Hang 'em high.

8. ROBERT SMITH AND DEPUTY DAWG
   Sometimes it's just impossible to tell the difference.  Mad Bob squawking
and Deputy Dawg yapping...one and the same if you ask us.  But Deputy Dawg's
slimmer.  (R.S. is the Cure's lead singer by the way - st)

9. JULIAN LENNON AND JOHN LENNON
   If we didn't know better we'd think these two were related.

-sue