Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Desert Island Ten

From: tsung@aero
Date: 12 Feb 86 09:00:29 PST (Wed)
Subject: Desert Island Ten
Posted-Date: 12 Feb 86 09:00:29 PST (Wed)

Well, just to show that not everyone was into punk/progressive music since
day one, here are some of my favorite post-77 releases.  Heck, 1977 was the
year I STARTED listening to western music!  Just because some of them became
massive commercial successes doesn't mean their quality was sacrificed in
anyway, I feel.

(What do you mean, the deadline has passed?)

1 & 2. Kate Bush, Hounds of Love & The Dreaming
3.  David Bowie, Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
4.  Pink Floyd, The Wall
5.  Pretenders
6.  Fleetwood Mac, Tusk
7.  Lindsay Buckingham, Law & Order
	(one of the most overlooked pop gems)
8.  Kyung Wha Chung, Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn Violin Concertos, Dutoit
	(two of the best performances on the same disc!)
9.  The Best of Liona Boyd
11. Leinsdorf, Prokofiev: Excerpts from the Ballet, Romeo & Juliet
	(Sheffield Lab)
12. Pollini, Chopin Etudes
10. I'll find some post-77 release of Chopin's Nocturnes right before I get
    on the trip that'll strand me on a desert island.

"The number of thy counting shall be
three, not two, not four"

Fu-Sheng

p.s.  Some of you morally untainted :-) David Byrne fans may miss his interview
(actually "20 Questions") in the March issue of Playboy.  Nothing outrageous,
but worth reading.