Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hofmann on a desert island? Never!!!

From: Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 86 16:13:01 EST
Subject: Hofmann on a desert island? Never!!!

First of all, I try to take all means available to
avoid being on a desert island ... I'd much prefer
a jungle island or a fantasy island ... you know
there is nothing but sand on a desert island????

Second of all, ahem, you people are ALL lame for
taking records to a desert island!  You think they
have stuff like electrical power and shit on a
desert island???  Jeez, I guess it's just typical
of libruh, humanist type thinking that would come
out of a Kate Bush mailing list.. Oh you said re-
cordings, didn't you - Hsut? Furthermore, I we are
talking about a desert island - post 1977 (right,
Shelli??? Jesus Christ Superstar, my foot (OUCH!)
thass hippy musak from the 60's or some other lame
decade) ... so I guess, hsut, you mean casettes
(the future saviour of music) on a desert island...
in which case from my very own casette collection
I pick (along with a crate of C-batteries):::

New York Thrash Comp (from ROIR) with Bad Brains,
AOD, Agnostic Front - and this is NOT TWO CHORD
TUNES!!!! DAMNIT THIS SHIT IS INTRICATE NOIZE!!
p.s.  in case you don't know, ROIR
has put out about 20-30 cassettes of music you won't
find anywheres else, including tracks of Suicide,
Television, New York Dolls, and (hsut, remember this
name) Bill Lazur (that might be the wrong spelling
though) who mentored Thurston Sonic Youth and variety
of other noisemakers ... ROIR has a copy of his symphony
with like 19 guitars - don't have it tho.

MEAT PUPPETS/BLACK FLAG favorites - all on one 90-minute
tape made by yers truly - includes early Flag favorites
not on any Flag record (when Morris was wailing with
them) and faves from Damaged, My War, Loose Nut and
In My Head ... Meat Puppets includes little early
stuff - mostly stuff from the last album, Up On The
Sun... this is for the mellow times when I'm smoking
coconut leaves ... bzzzzz

Kate Bush (Dreaming)/ Kate Bush (Hounds of Love) - well
what do you expect from someone on a K Bush mailing list?

Charles Bukowski (hostage)/Naked Raygun (Throb, Throb) -
Strangely these two recordings complement each other, tho
I'll be damned how I got them there ... what I should have
done was intersperse Raygun recordings with Bukowski rants -
can you imagine No Sex following Bukowski talking about college
girls (leer, leer) ... I also booted Potential Rapist
off the radio - probably my fave Raygun song now.

HUSKER DU (Metal Circus)/ Various Artists (Bad Brains, Lydia
Lunch, Volcano Suns) made for me by Tim - MC is running up that
hill as the Husker Du recording I've got the most interest
in (mainly in deciphering the words - which may take a
lifetime itself on a desert island) ... the other stuff is
all post-77 (except for some of the Iggy Pop stuff I think -
so I'll like stop up my ears when it comes on)

Grateful Dead - Bootlet from Morgantown, WV, May, 1983 ...
includes Terrapin Station Suite...yow!

King Crimson (3 of a perfect pair)with Apspic.../ REM (Murmur) - possibly
the best Crimson and REM music on one small cassette.  This
is music to sleep or ... y'know by.

Appropriate Soda (Jam in our basement)/ Livestock (intimately
dead) ... remaining tapes from my band(s)

Sex Pistols (Never Mind the Bollocks...)/Damned Damned Damned/ The
Replacements Stink  ....
lots of good stuff here folks...should be able to draw any airplane
within a 50 mile radius for rescue.

Derek Jacobi reading 1984 by George Orwell (books on tape) ...
well this way I can feel real smug knowing that all you other
toads are wanking away for the machine state ...

hofmann