Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Desert island disks and other junk

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 86 10:25:52 est
Subject: Desert island disks and other junk

I made up this list of junk for net.music, but since Bill asked for
people's desert island disks (recorded since 1977), I figure I might as
well pollute Love-Hounds with it too:

Doug Says The 17 Best Records Of 85 He's Heard Are:

(1) [Can't you guess???] Kate Bush -- Hounds of Love
(2) Roy Harper -- Whatever Happened to Jugula?
(3) Suzanne Vega -- Suzanne Vega

The above three records are in the top-10 of all time.

(4) Kate Bush -- Cloubusting
(5) Kate Bush -- Running Up That Hill (12 inch single)
(6) Throwing Muses -- Throwing Muses (cassette only)
(7) Mission of Burma -- The Horrible Truth About Burma
(8) Sisters of Mercy -- First and Last and Always
(9) Shriekback -- Oil and Gold
(10) The Legendary Pink Dots -- Lovers
(11) Various Artists -- If You Can't Please Yourself You Can't Please Your
	Soul (a compilation of Some Bizzarre artists for EMI)
(12) Inner City Unit -- Blood And Bone (EP)
(13) No Trend with Lydia Lunch -- Heart of Darkness (10 inch EP)
(14) Einsturzende Neubauten  -- 1/2 Mensch
(15) Siouxsie and the Banshees -- Cities in Dust (12 inch single)
(16) German Shepherds -- Music for Sick Queers
(17) Sting -- Russians (12 inch single)

Doug Says The 36 Best Records He Bought In 85 Are:

(1-3) identical to above
(4) Robyn Hitchcock -- I Often Dream of Trains
(5) Klaus Schulze -- Trancefer
(6) Hawkwind -- Warrior On The Edge Of Time
(7) Bill Nelson's Red Noise -- Sound On Sound
(8) Jean Michel Jarre -- Zoolook
(9) Kate Bush -- Cloudbusting (12 inch single -- for B-side, "Burning
	Bridge" and "My Lagan Love")
(10) Kate Bush -- Running Up That Hill (12 inch single -- for B-side,
	"Under The Ivy")
(11) Birdsongs of the Mesozoic -- Magnetic Flip
(12) Birdsongs of the Mesozoic -- EP
(13) Brian Eno and David Byrne -- My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
(14) Roy Harper -- The Unknown Soldier
(15) Roy Harper -- Come Out Fighting Ghengis Smith
(16) Psychic TV -- Unclean (EP)
(17) Eric Lindgren and others -- The Arf Arf Contemporay Music Sampler
	Volume 1
(18) Robyn Hitchcock -- Black Snake Diamond Role
(19) Gary Numan -- Photograph (7 inch single B-side)
(20) Talking Heads -- Remain In Light
(21) Tuxedomoon -- Time To Lose - Blind (EP)
(22) Coil -- Tainted Love (12 inch single)
(23) Massacre -- Killing Time
(24) Tuxedomoon -- Half Mute
(25) Godley and Creme -- Freeze Frame
(26) Throwing Muses -- Throwing Muses (cassette only)
(27) The Velvet Underground and Nico
(28) Hunters and Collectors -- Hunters and Collectors
(29) Ron Geesin and Roger Waters -- Music from "The Body"
(30) Laurie Anderson -- United States Live
(31) Colin Newman -- A-Z
(32) Bauhaus -- Ziggy Stardust (EP)
(33) Nico -- The Marble Index
(34) Nico -- Drama  of Exile
(35) Cocteau Twins -- Treasure
(36) William Ackerman -- Passage

Doug Says The 11 Best Videos He Saw For The First Time In 85 Are:

(1) Kate Bush -- Running Up That Hill
(2) Peter Gabriel -- I Don't Remember

The above two videos are the two best videos of all time.

(3) Coil -- Tainted Love
(4) Shriekback -- Nemesis
(5) (lots of miscellaneous Kate Bush stuff)
(6) Kate Bush -- Cloudbusting
(7) Frank Zappa -- (something from "Baby Snakes")
(8) Hunters and Collectors -- Talking to a Stranger
(9) Robyn Hitchcock -- The Man with the Lightbulb Head
(10) Art of Noise -- Close to the Edit
(11) Colin Newman -- B

Doug Sez The 5 Best Radio Stations Of 85 He's Listened To Are:

(1) WZBC (Boston College)
(2) WMFO (Tufts)
(3) WHFS (Commercial, Annapolis MD)
(4) WMBR (MIT)
(5) WFNX (Commercial, Lynn MA)

Doug Says The Best Piece Of Music He Heard On The Radio Today Is:

    Something off of the album "Easy Listening for the Hard of Hearing".

Doug Sayz The 11 Best Live Performances He Saw Of 85 Were:

(1) The Residents
(2) Suzanne Vega
(3) Hawkwind
(4) Robyn Hitchcock
(5) Birdsongs of the Mesozoic
(6) Roger Miller
(7) Einsturzende Neubauten
(8) Roy Harper
(9) Throwing Muses
(10) Uzi	  [Okay, well I just saw these today, but it's
(11) John Cale     still close enough to '85 in my book.]

Doug Says The Ten Albums Recorded Since 1977 He'd Take To A Desert
Island Are:

(1) Kate Bush -- The Dreaming
(2) Kate Bush -- Hounds Of Love
(3) Pink Floyd -- Animals
(4) Peter Gabriel III
(5) Suzanne Vega --  Suzanne Vega
(6) Roy Harper -- Whatever Happened To Jugula?
(7) Robin Hitchcock -- I Often Dream of Trains
(8) Klaus Schulze -- Trancefer
(9) Bill Nelson's Red Noise -- Sound on Sound
(10) John Foxx -- Metamatic

Doug Says The Five Best Movies He's Seen Of All Time Are:

(1) Brazil
(2) Pink Floyd -- The Wall
(3) Eraserhead
(4) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
(5) Time Bandits

So there you have it.  Everything you need to know to lead a happy,
fulfilled life.

			-Doug