Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 86 13:21:12 EST

	We haven't had a "theme" discussion since Sue's "Who are the
musicians/groups you love to hate" poll, so let me propose the first
love-hounds pseudo-poll of '86, a small variation on a hackneyed subject:

	WHAT ARE THE 10 ALBUMS RECORDED AFTER 1977 THAT YOU WOULD BRING
TO A DESERT ISLAND?

	The restriction to after '77 is based on two reasons:

1) Sam Rabelsky's (are you still on love-hounds?) album poll on net.music
   last year was dominated by albums from the early '70s (not on my ballot!)
   Which I think is understandable because it takes time for some albums
   to "grow" on you. So let's see what relatively recent albums we enjoy...

2) '77 is around when the punk movement began, without which we wouldn't
   have half the music we talk about in this mailing list :-)

	So my ten, in no particular order, are:

KATE BUSH	THE DREAMING		(of course...)

BAUHAUS		THE SKY'S GONE OUT

	I'm really fond of this album, from the cover of Eno's "Third Uncle"
to the post-Joy Division horror movie music on side 2. I guess you either
love it or hate it for its self-indulgence.

XTC		BLACK SEA

	XTC's masterpiece before they tried to be more commercial with Mummer
(English Settlement was OK). Superb jagged, undanceable rhythms and clashing
dissonances.

LAURIE ANDERSON	BIG SCIENCE

	What would I give to see Laurie Anderson on tour...

ROBYN HITCHCOCK	I OFTEN DREAM OF TRAINS

	Who needs drugs when you have Robyn Hitchcock? The spare production
and instrumentation bring out the lyrics, which I feel are the cleverest
things in Robyn Hitchcock's music. Irresistable and zany...

THE RESIDENTS	NOT AVAILABLE

PETER GABRIEL	III

	This was the album that showed me what rock can really do...

TALKING HEADS	FEAR OF MUSIC

	"Cities", "Life During Wartime", "Heaven", need I say more?

TUXEDOMOON	HALF-MUTE

	Chamber music of the future...

THE CURE	FAITH

	Gloriously depressing music you can dance to, dance music you can be
depressed to...

And the ones who almost made the list:

David Bowie	Scary Monsters
Sonic Youth	Bad Moon Rising
Byrne/Eno	My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Talking Heads	Remain in Light
Kate Bush	Hounds of Love
Peter Gabriel	Security
Bill Nelson	Vistamix
Tuxedomoon	Desire
King Crimson	Discipline
Joy Division	Closer

	Looking over my list, I found that most of my choices were released
before 1983. Looks like there's no escape from the time factor :-)

					Bill Hsu