Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Guitars vs. Synths

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 86 01:06:33 est
Subject: Guitars vs. Synths

> From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>

> No, I am not thrilled to tears by Ultravox. Gimmie a guitar over a
> Synth any day (ie, Bob Mould over Lionel Ritchie).

Mr. Wicinski, it's not what you do it with -- it's what you do with it.

For instance, I'd take KB's synth over The Romantics guitar any day!
(What?  The Fairlight isn't a synth?  Well...) I'd take Kraftwerk's
synth over REO Speedwagon's guitar anyday.  But I'd definitely take Fred
Frith's guitar over Flock of Hairdressers' synths.  And I'd take Sisters
of Mercy drum machines over Motley Crue's drums.  And King Crimson's
drums over Go West's drum machines.  And...

			"Your cities lie in dust"

			 Doug

P.S.  Mr. Earl, I think it is understood that one someone says something
is "the best", it is their opinion and not a statement of provable fact.
And there is a difference between stating what one's favorite X is, and
what X he thinks is the best.  For example, perhaps my favorite song of
198Y is the Frazen Daz jingle music because it reminds me of the
indescribably wonderful sensation of eating delicious mocha-boysenberry
Fazen Daz ice cream while sand witched with three nubile and naked
eskimo women.  But perhaps I think that this experience is far from
universal for this piece of music, and really this is just a little
peculiarty of mine.  I might therefore think that for 198Y the song with
the most artistic merit is Sid Rotten's cover version of "Louie, Louie"
even though that is not my favorite song.