Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Echoes in a Shallow Bay

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 86 13:20:39 EST
Subject: Echoes in a Shallow Bay

Nope, there's nothing about Echoes in a Shallow Bay in New Order's "Blue
Monday."  The "bay" in the lyric is really "obey"...

I see a ship in the harbour
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today...

As a trivia note, the members of New Order have supposedly confessed that
this song is really about Ian Curtis...but then again, who can ever pin
them down to the truth.  They can be a pain to interview.

More reasons why I cancelled my Rolling Stone subscription -- their HOL
review compares KB to Jonathan Richman as an "eternal child" and ends with
the warning that HOL will not appeal to those who believe children should
be seen and not heard.  How patronizing to an artist like Kate...I urge
everyone to help send Rolling Stone to bankruptcy city by buying some decent
rag like SPIN or Melody Maker...hell, even CREEM (at least it isn't pre-
tentious, and they need the money, or so I've heard).

This is a stagnant month for music.

-Sue