Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

bulldadA/residentS/partieS/matS/4aD/huH?

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 86 11:23:29 EST
Subject: bulldadA/residentS/partieS/matS/4aD/huH?

more random assorted and stupid observations on nothing in particular ...

>From: allynh%miro@BERKELEY.EDU (Allyn Hardyck)
>Subject: Residents, Cocteau Twins, etc.
>Date: 20 Jan 86 17:25:44 PST (Mon)

>Incidentally, there's a New American Dada exhibit (neglecting the fact that
>Dada was a one-time movement)

What about BullDada?  It lives on in --- and ^^^ and ### and !!! everytime
I %%%%% or @@@@@ and ((((( ... get it@@@

>I've probably forgotten a few...
Thou art forgiven in the name of Slack - one two three.  Speaking of the
residents (sounds of hecklers:  But you weren't asshole!) - I cornered some-
body at a party to explain this phenom, he is/was/will be (maybe) a DJ at
WJHU back before and when (and hereafter) (as well as herebefore) it became
or becomes yuppieoid classical/smashicall and of course the safe jazzzzzzz ...
this person or persons (i can't remember now) had in actuality visited the
non-descript headquarters of Ralph (ta-daaaa) Records and reported all
eyeballs in attendance at that time so Rosens theory a la Lennon is
probably (perhaps) wrong (or tight) ... he also said all props ever ever
used by the Residents and other luminaries of Ralph are there also.
I forget how he found the place since he tried the PO box and USPS wouldn't
tell him where Ralph was - I imagine he made a coupla phone calls and
viola!  What intrigued me more was when he started talking about computer
nets (yccccchhh) and especially arpa net and this mailing list he had
heard of called love-hounds.  I choked on my drink! Perhaps this was
a method of The Others or The Conspiracy to give information so I stayed
quiet and ignorant like (which isn't hard if you know me) and mumbled
something about M.I.T. ... he looked at me quizzically as I drifted
away to catch the Replacements on TV ... none of the burnouts at this
party could understand my enthusiasm at seeing the first hardcore
on network television ... obviously standing among unenlightened ones,
who were among the same who rejoiced when the Talking Heads made their TV debut
I thought ... (thass a joke boy, you supposed to laugh says Foghorn who
is standing right next to me now - Down Boy!).  [By now, I have turned
off all Normals and they will probably never read my postings again so
I can begin Sub-G-liminally reprogramming you all at 9600 baud ... and
so it went.]

Allyn, I've heard of strange things to do in Chicago but listen to
college radio??? you must be as wierd as your name ...

---------------------------------------
	>As mentioned before, there is the American compilation LP of Lp tracks
>and singles, "The Pink Opaque" (1985)

The above was from Greg Searle - I read a review in City Paper of
Pink Opaque which was negative (kept on comparing the twins with
R.E.M. for some godawful reason, I don't know what ... oh yeah, cuz
liz's voice is as murky as stipes - good reason huh???) - apparently
the reviewer seemed unaware this was a comp and treated it like a
new work.  That's egg on his face.  Sue, you can do the honors.

Ya know the more I listen to the Twins the less I listen to that
Mortal Coil thang ... hmmm --- anyone wanna plot this on a log-log
graph  - doug, you could program this into your commodore 64 ...

>	The catalogue numbers that 4AD uses are quite good, and I wish other
>record companies would follow their lead.

hmmph, I liked Alternative Tentacles system - i.e. the first release
is called Virus 1 and the 45th release is called Virus 45 ...

Seriously - yer right 4AD has got their heads screwed on right ... I always
consider Homestead their Yankee counterpart - you?

Can the Dead really dance???

- hofmann