Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

plan 9 ... rough trade

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 86 15:32:55 EST
Subject: plan 9 ... rough trade

Plan 9 is killer - they have their own record company and I'd send you
the address BUT I sent them money for the new SamHain lp and still no
see-um vinyl ... I'm sending them a letter pretty soon and if that don't
work I'm gonna rant in Flipside or sumthin - however ... the lp could have
been delayed - knowing Danzig's ego and such everything has to be perfect.

Oh - PLAN 9 has been around awhile - kinda dirgey, kinda psyche, definitely
unique ... check out the misfits or samhain instead - you said you liked
Sonic Youth.  Well ... have you heard the live 45 from Forced Exposure
feature I Killed Christgau with My Limp Dick?  (Christgau is the Village
Voice music editor who determined last year that Sonic Youth did not
deserve coverage by VV spurring an intense letter battle between Thurston
and Bobby Christgau culminating in this track - actually the titel
of the song is Kill YR Idols)

As for Rough Trade - they ARE mailorder, hsut - I'm sure you could spend
more than 20 minutes poring through their catalog.  You DID get a catalog
didn't you????

If you whine, I'll get addresses for these companys.  My favorite (i.e.
most reliable) is Systematic.  They seem to carry everything I want
and I wish I could just buy them out!  Hah!  Not 'till I win the lottery
and that will only happen if someone buys me a ticket!

Oh where was I?  Oh yeah!  For those Minutemen fanz/listeners/enthusiasts
the 3 record album is still going to come out.  All tracks and such are
"in the can" - the only thing left is for the fans/etc to pick their 30
favorite tracks for the live sides.  I talked to the Spaceman hissownbadself
out at SST via my "secret" (i.e. Paul Hammerlinck gave it to me) phone
number.  Nyah, nyah-nee, nyah, nyah - Idon't wanna grow up (can't get that
outta my head!)  I'm planning to write an article on my 30 choices for
this zine I write for ... stayed tuned all five M-man fans out thar. (tim,
larry, hmmm... oh yeh, allyn).  Hsut, check these guys out if you wanna
see some sincere playing around with musical form.  EVERY SONG is a fucking
revelation.  just revel in it.  Double Nicks on A Dime is a good intro -
3 way tie is a less expensive one.

Gawd, I'm a ramblin man today ... speaking of which I was flipping through
the dials yesterday and caught Neil Young on a cerabal palsey telethon
(!!!!) interviewed by (!!!!) Fonzie!!!!  These 80's are fucking killing
me.

"People pick up on what I'm putting down" - hofmann