Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HoL Singles, RUTH Lame?

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 86 11:08:25 est
Subject: HoL Singles, RUTH Lame?

> From: Steve Tynor <gatech!gitpyr!tynor>

> I can't believe I (a fervid Kate fan) am writing this and maybe this
> is the wrong group of people to write this to, but I'm getting sick of
> RUtH.  Doug says, 'Give it a chance, it's *perfect*!'.

I never said it was perfect!  I think it is excellent, but it is far
from the best thing Kate has done.  I've said on several occasions that
I really am not so wild about the four note synth hook.  I really do
like the rhythm, however.  It has a sort of hypnotic throbbing drone
that is similar in some ways to the effect of the rhythm in the song
"The Dreaming".

> Well, after repeated listening (both at home and on the radio), I have
> the same impression that I started with.  It's a lame song.  It's just
> too repetative.

I think you're just reacting this way because it's popular.  I don't see
how you can say that it's any more repetative than much of the stuff
she's done.  Repetition done properly is a very important tool in music.
Listen again to "Leave It Open" or "Pull Out The Pin".

> (Even the video (the one with Kate and friend dancing) is repetative!
> How many times do they repeat the stunt where he holds her in his
> arms, she throws her legs up over and behind his back...  It's a neat
> effect, just as certain aspects of the song are neat.

Boo!  Hiss!  I just don't see how you can say this!  The video for RUTH
is the best video I've ever seen.  It's perfect.  (All her other videos
are flawed in some way or another).  I never noticed any excessive
repetition in the video -- the move you mentioned is perhaps done twice?
And the dance is just so beautiful, and there are so many subtle things
going on:  There is symbolic crucification.  Kate and the male dancer
switch places several times.  There a visual argument.  There is the
imagery of Kate being trapped within herself.  It's wonderful!

> There are other, more interesting songs suitable for singles on the album.
> (Big Sky (tho not *much* better), Cloudbusting)

"The Big Sky" not much better than "lame"?  Urrgh!  "The Big Sky" just
keeps growing on me.  It is really a masterpiece.  I sure hope that it
is released as a single.  It would really show the charts what great
music is.  And it probably even has a chance of being pretty successful.

"Cloudbusting" was the second single in England, but it wasn't
exceptionally successful (it only made it up to 20), so it's unlikely
that it will be released as a single here.

Unfortunately, the least imaginative song on the album, the title song,
is definitely the next single in both the U.S. and in England.  It has
already been released as a DJ only promo single in the U.S.  (And has
been being played in very heavy rotation on WFNX.)  Kate is currently
working on the video for it.

> Though I can't confirm it (I'm not near my stereo right now), I
> believe the drum pattern used in RUtH is identical to that used by the
> Beatles in 'Baby You're a Rich Man'.  Can anyone confirm?

What???  It's not even close!

			"This cloud, this cloud says
			 'Noah, c'mon and build me an ark'"

			 Doug