Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KB in Tower Records' "Pulse"

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 86 03:04:42 est
Subject: Re: KB in Tower Records' "Pulse"

> From: tsung@aero

>	Bush calls herself lucky as her wildest fantasy
>	is coming true:  the ability to remain true to her inventive mind
>	without worrying about its results being accepted by the commercial
>	world.

>	     Bush sings about that fantasy on _Hounds of Love_.  "You
>	want my reply?/What was the question?/I was looking at the big
>	sky."

> Well the last paragraph (about "The Big Sky") certainly made a lot of
> sense to me.

Actually I think the quote from "The Big Sky" is actually more of a jab
at some of the British music press, rather than the commercial world.
Except in the U.S., she's been remarkably successful commercially.  The
British music press, however, until recently, were often pretty nasty to
her.

> Say, do you think that The Ninth Wave could be about her own
> artistic/internal struggle?

I think it could be seen as being about any life crisis.

> It's that witch part above (and the discussion a while back of
> KB-the-witch) that gave me the idea.  For instance, the bit with the
> witchfinder is about KB not understood by outsiders (critics, etc),

Yeah, I think that "Waking The Witch" is in some ways another jab at the
British music press.  They sometimes called her a witch, or spaced-out
hippy, or whatever.  Being accepted by the British press might seem like
an old fashioned witch trial.  If you pass, maybe you've forsaken your
art for praise.  And if you fail, then perhaps you will never get the
recognition you deserve.

> and "Watching You Without Me" (she sees loved ones but they can't see
> her) is about her not understood by her close friends.  Just a wild
> speculation.

Seems quite reasonable to me!

> By the way, where does all that angry energy of "The Dreaming" comes
> from?  I don't think anybody can produce a work of such STRONG emotion
> without some stimuli of an equivalent magnitude.

Traumatic childbirth?  Existential despair?  I dunno.  I often get as
upset as Kate is on "The Dreaming" and nothing all that bad ever
happened to me.  Most of the time it's when I ponder the meaning of life
and stuff like that...

			"I don't know why I am crying
			 Am I suspended in Gaffa?"

			 Doug