Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: question about "Mother Stands for Comfort"

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 85 01:04:25 est
Subject: Re: question about "Mother Stands for Comfort"

> From: tsung@aero

> On my nth listening to HoL, the song "Mother Stands For Comfort" again
> sent chills up my spine.

Yeah, it send chills up mine too!

> If this is really a love song to Mother, then why does the arrangement
> give such a . . . haunted/chilling atmosphere to the song?

Because it's about how a mother's love for her child transcends
morality.  The child has done something horrible and wrong, but their
mother will still love them.

> For me, it conjures up an image of a huge house with an overpowering
> mother figure about to beat up little-girl-Kate in the corner shaking
> with fear.

Gee, I dunno why you'd picture that?  I always pictured a child stricken
with fear going to their mother for comfort.

			"Mother will hide the mad man"

			 Doug