Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: David M. Hardy <HAADAV@MITVMA>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 85 12:36 EST

>... new Some Bizzare comp, "If You Can't Please Yourself You Can't Please
>Your Soul."  It features a new The The track as well as Scraping Foetus
>Off The Wheel (any Foetus fans out there?), Cabaret Voltaire, Marc
>Almond, and many more.  I can post more detailed info if anyone wants it.

Yes!  Please post more about it.  I can probably live without Foetus if
it sounds anything like the name implies to me, but I'd love to know
what else is on the compilation.  I've been in 'compilation mode' lately
after just picking up 'Zang Tumb Tuum Sampled' and 'One Pound Ninety
Nine -- The State of Things (Beggars Banquet)'.  The latter introduced
me to such wonders as 'Haunted When The Minutes Drag' by Love and Rockets
(which then prompted me to run out and buy their album, but I havn't had
time to hear it all yet), and 'Perambulator' by Icicle Works (which
doesn't appear to be on their new album), as well as the Ramones'
classic(?) 'Bonzo Goes To Bitburg'.  The former has a great version
of Born To Run done by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as well as a couple of
cuts I like by Propaganda (anyone know anything else about them??),
also Andrew Poppy (again, anyone know about him?)), Art of Noise and
others.  These compilation sort of things seem to be a great way to get
introduced to new music, especially since there is not a whole lot of it
around on the radio.

>PS. Have any of you heard The Jesus & Mary Chain?  They are *very* hot
>in England.  I know people who love them and people who think they're
>wildly overrated.  In any case, I'm going to see them Sunday night in DC.
>They make very loud feedback-y music, for the most part, and have a new
>LP out called "Psycho Candy."

For the most part I think Jesus and Mary Chain are pretty amazing.  I got
a double single by them with two versions of 'Just Like Honey' (at the
moment one of my favorite songs.) The album version is great.  They even
have managed to leave off the feedback on some of the things (again, I
havn't heard the whole album yet), but even with feedback, I think 'You
Trip Me Up' is a great song.  Great stuff to crank up after a hard day at
whatever....

                                        >>> Dave
"There's one thing that makes me sick;
 It's when someone tries to hide behind politics."
Acknowledge-To: David M. Hardy <HAADAV@MITVMA>