Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

on the _Cloubusting_ video

From: Henry Chai <chai%utflis%toronto.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 85 19:04:30 est
Subject: on the _Cloubusting_ video

Today's (Nov 24) _Toronto_Star_ carries an article on the _Cloudbusting_
video which took up 1/3 of the front page of the entertainment section by a
Peter Goddard.  I'm quoting parts of the article,especially KB's words:
        Look for Donald Sutherland's face to shine through on Cloudbusting,
        the new video from fairytale rocker Kate Bush

        POP'S SIREN PUTS LYRICAL TALES ON FILM

	   Tomorrow yet another video will burst on to your screen.  Called
	_Cloudbusting_, it comes from _Hounds_of_Love_, the latest
	album by Kate Bush, British rock's mystery vamp -- the singer
	who hates touring and hides behind a swirl of sensuous imagery
	in her songs.
	   "We're treating it as a piece of film," she told me a few
	days ago, "and it really came down to choosing the right
	actor for it.  I couldn't think of anyone better than
	Donald Sutherland.  I think he's a very sensitve actor,
	as well as extremely professional and patient.  So I
	found a contract for him, sent him the script and found
	that he was interested in doing it.  He just so happened
	to have the days free."

	[...]

	   "Early next year is when I'm going to make a decision
	about touring.  The commitment of time and effort is one
	of the big considerations.  I think television can go a lot
	farther than I can on a tour.  And a lot quicker.
	   "Video is making new experiments all the time but I think
	it's going through an exploited stage at the moment.  To me,
	a lot of videos are too `busy'.  There are a lot of things
	happening but quite often they're not telling the story. I
	understand part of the problem.
	   "It's frustrating, but sometimes a single chosen for its
	musical value can be vey hard to put a visual to.  Some-
	times you have to compromise between what's seen and what's
	heard.  In my video, we had such a strong story to tell
	it was the perfect one to view as a short film and not a
	promotional device."

	   Her music has been rich in roles to play [...] Now she's
	extending this role-playing to video-making.
	   "My approach is to become on video the particular character
	required at the time.  It's a bit like acting because
	quite often in my songs there's a character in a particular
	setting.  When I write a song it's almost as if I'm writing
	a script."
	   She admits that she would feel pressure to make any live
	concert as visually lavish as her videos.  "Theatre is quite
	a different world than film.  Film is very intimate. It's
	just the camera seeing what it's pointed at.  You can't see
	anything beyond that.  But when you're on stage, people's
	eyes can wander from the ceiling to the floor, there's
	so much they can take in.  In video, you have control."
BTW, the color photo that accompanies this article is one of the three
`limited edition' KB photos that can be ordered from EMI (UK).
(the one with the blue background)
Also, I think that it should be Peter Reich who'd be thanking KB and not
vice-versa; now many people in the world will be introduced to Wilheim Reich
and Orgonomy because of a video!

-- henry