Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Joni Interview, KB short take

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 85 22:07:24 est
Subject: Re: Joni Interview, KB short take

One of the things that I must confess has always bothered me
about these singers like Joni Mitchell et. al. is their strange
desire to get outside their domain and still speak with
authority.  They should have something like the ACM's code of
ethics (which says not to speak with authority on things you're
not an authority on) for musicians.  Look at this:

> [Joni]:  I have felt more angry in the last year.  Some of it's personal and
> 	some of it's what my antenna is picking up.  There's an increase in
> 	my outrage at the general direction of things, at the way the govern-
> 	ment dispenses authority and money, and the Star Wars insanity and
> 	all that business.  It's [Dog Eat Dog] an angry album.

Here we have someone with an antenna (tuned in to Radio Station
"Peace and Progress", no doubt) who is really outraged at the
general direction of things, "and all that business."

Yet, when she starts to talk about her own business, she makes
more sense...

> 	All this heroism, in all the
> 	big charity events of the past--Bangladesh, No Nukes--a lot of self-
> 	congratulation went on, and everybody that appeared in these things
> 	was "the new consciousness," and inevitably it did all their careers
> 	some good and everything--AND THE MONEY NEVER GOT TO THE PEOPLE.
> 	...that's the truth and the irony of it.

I hope Kate Bush never gets into the political business.