Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More than Pizza

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 85 16:56:36 EST
Subject: More than Pizza

Vell-l-l, since someone asked and since I am now unbusy having put
the finishing touches to my wonderful database (just can't figure
where this extra element called [25] came from ...
Oh well, I'll talk about Forced Exposure first since I don't have
any pizza (hold the pepperoni - where's the sauce!!!).  Oh yeah,
Forced Expoosure started like all fanzines start - as a xerox
effort.  Like all fanzines editors, Jimmy Johnson was interestee
in a certain type of music (at the time - Hardcore and way way out
performances) and also collecting so he fired up his Enchanted
Duplicator and ... being centered near Boston helped lots as this
place had many clubs to play in (the Rat, Chet's, Paradise, SPit,
Jumpin Jack Flash ... I could go on but I gotta go get some pizza)
and was near of course the center of everything (at least in their
own minds) New Yank, New Yank.  Well, it was either make it or break
it for JJ, so he advertised in other zines and also got favorable
review in other zines mostly becuase his didn't look like a zine.  There
was little emphasis on "scene" reports (oh there are reviews, sure)
there was little infantile scribblin's througout the margins, there
was legible typing and there was also a definite anti-zine type feel
here.  Well, pretty soon the underground elite (Lydia Lunch, Rollins,
Albini, Crhris D., M. Gira, Howard Wuelfing, Tesco Vee etc etc) noticed
this up and coming zine and start contributing.  Now by issue 7/8 (summer
85) - this zine was at the top of zines.  I mean, how many zines
turn down contributions (sob, sob) these days (well alot more than you
would think but ... where the fuck is that pizza!!!).  Anyhoo, ish 7/8
is worth back ordering, it's got reviews, stories/interviews with
Sonic Youth, Big Black (written by Albini hisself - I'm gonna kill
that deliverey boy), Nick Cave story, A Swans interview (note: Dug)
and Stories by Lydia Lunch, Tesco Vee, M. Gira (late of Black Flag),
Chris D. (the guy with the divine Horsemen and star of Decline of
Western Civ -PIZZA!!!!!) and and and and ... record reviews (tons and
tons and tons and tons).  Don't miss it and I gotta go cuz, Ta-DA,
my pizza has arrived!!!!  p[munch munch crunch crunch mmmmm Choclate
toppings!!!]  Oh yeah, there's also this quote on the first page
of lydia lunch's that sex it all:
but you're gonna have to buy the sucker to read, it he he. I got
a pizza to eat - - -- - address is:  Forced Exposure
					719 washington st Apt. #172
					Newtonville, MA 02160
and and issue has a cover price of 2.00$ (oh, by the way it is
no longer xeroxed and even has a color cover photo and all) add
a 50 cents to a buck for postage.  It's about 82 pages big ....

hofmann