Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Holly shit!

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 85 19:59:41 est
Subject: Re: Holly shit!

> Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)
>
> I've been scheduled an interview with Kate Bush for next week!  If
> anyone has any questions they want asked, better recommend them now.

To-ledo, Doug, this is amazing!  Gee, whiz!  Is this a live,
on-the-air interview, or a magazine-type interview?  I mean, can
you ask her *real* questions, like, "Doesn't this song really
mean this?" or can you only ask safe questions like, "how do you
feel to be finally accepted in America?"

My, goodness, now, if I were going to talk to Kate Bush, and if
I were not put off by some guarded persona she assumed, I would
ask some questions like this... not that they are the sort of
questions you could ask in interviews, but just as an exercise
of fantasy...

1) In "All the Love," you expressed a feeling of fear and
vulnerability at the reaction of critics to songs you had
written that made them "think you're up to something wierd," and
said that the next time, you'd give them what they want to hear.
Was this behind your change of style in _Hounds_of_Love_?  Do
you have any regrets at doing this?

2) Despite what some shallow types say, I am convinced that
"Running up the Hill" really is about the objectification of
women: men treating women like objects, rather than as equals,
and a desire to switch places so they could understand how
unjust this is.  Is this interpretation totally wrong?

3) In "The Ninth Wave," in the first song ("And Dream of
Sheep"), the woman in the water experiences hypothermia, and
with it, a desire to go to sleep.  Yet, if she went to sleep,
she would surely die.  How does this relate, then, to the
astronaut saying "Go to sleep, little Earth?" at the end of
"Hello Earth"?

4) Does the "old lady" in "Jig of Life" represent the
folding-of-time perceived by a woman who looks in the mirror
and suddenly sees a face reminiscent of her mother's when she was
born?

5) Is this folding-of-time represented again by the "you asleep
on the seat" in "Hello, Earth"?  Or who is this "you"?

6) In the phrase "Help this blackbird," there seems to be this
parallel sound-meaning: "Help this black bard."  Yes?

7) What does the reference to Ireland in "The Big Sky" mean?

8) In "Suspended in Gaffa," you seem to suggest the idea that by
choosing the path of an entertainer, you have bound yourself
against progress to a higher level of enlightenment; that your
spiritual progress is "suspended in Gaffa."  Yet the conclusion
of "The Ninth Wave" is quite opposite this idea.  Does this
reflect a change in your ideologies in the past few years?

9) Don't give up!  "The Dreaming" was great, and you shouldn't
let the critics mislead you.  You can have your immortality now
or later.

Well, that's about it... as I said, I doubt you could really ask
those things, unless you felt a real rapport with the
interviewee... and then she might get mad and go away.

PS - What is "Holly shit"?