Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: umcp-cs!aplcen!uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 85 14:42:07 EST

>From ins_aset@jhunix Fri Nov 15 10:35:48 1985 remote from jhunix
Date:     Fri, 15 Nov 85 10:35:41 EST
From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>
Subject:  Kate - in the Top 40!!!

A friend of mine told me that "RUTH" has finally cracked the good ol'
Billboard Top 40.  It's at #37, I believe...it hasn't exactly been
making huge leaps up the chart, so perhaps it won't get any higher
than the 30s, but I'll bet Kate will win a lot of new fans (unfortunately
most of them will probably find "The Dreaming," "Ninth Wave," etc.
"icky"!).

Oh, lucky you, Doug, interviewing Kate!!!!!  Which publication is it
for>
or are you going to broadcast it on your radio show?  I hope she doesn't
"disillusion" you, a la Dale of "Breakthrough," and that'll be it for
the Love-Hounds... (I'll bet :-)  Well, maybe there will be lots of
lovely articles about Kate in the rock press...

Speaking of "press" - re somebody's question about what magazines we
love-hounders read ... gee, I still miss Trouser Press!!
1) Spin - Despite the obnoxious articles like "models and rock stars,"
   I still appreciate their underground coverage immensely.  Besides,
   in the current issue, the name of my radio station is there in tiny
   tiny letters (we broadcast their monthly concerts).
2) Rolling Stone - I've gotten RS for about 5 years now, although I am
   going to let my subscription run out.  Too much about "Miami Vice"
   and other popculture garbage, not enough about important new music.
3) Melody Maker - I need to get at least one of the British weeklies,
   since they publish very thorough lists of upcoming releases and lots
   of reviews...I prefer MM over NME, but just slightly.  They are both
   annoying, MM is just a little less so, or so I usually think.
4) Rockpool - this is an excellent publication for DJs, club or radio,
   because of its extensive review section.  In fact, it's nearly all
   reviews, plus the occasional interview or two.  Kind of expensive
   for a small black & white magazine though.
5) CMJ (College Media Journal) - This is of no use to anyone who's not
   in the "industry," because it concentrates mostly on charts, playlists
   and reviews of what they think is "hot product."  Lots of puffery
   from record companies touting their latest artists.  I just skim it.
I occasionally read "Creem," "Musician," "Boston/US Rock," "Matter,"
"Jamming," "Smash Hits," and "Zig Zag" as well.....but not very often.

-Sue