Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

SPIN

From: hsut@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 85 11:28:22 EST
Subject: SPIN

Really-from: Bill Hsu

	I was on the verge of subscribing to SPIN until they did things
like put Pat Benatar on the cover. (What's this about not interviewing
people on a major label?) On the whole, they seem to have some nice
articles (especially the first few issues), tho they're not as alternative
as they'd like to sound. I still get the odd issue now and then. It's
sad to see them go from having Talking Heads and REM covers to what they're
doing now. (There's nothing wrong with becoming a mainstream rag, it's
just that the quality of the early issues makes the recent ones look
so flaccid.)

	I still enjoy reading the Village Voice, tho not for the music
columns. Christgau is fun to read, but most of the articles on music are
not terribly exciting.

					Bill