Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Babooshka, inanimate objects, Spin magazine

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 85 02:51:30 est
Subject: Babooshka, inanimate objects, Spin magazine

> From: CDONALDSON@USC-ECLB.ARPA

Regarding "Babooshka"....

> I must disagree with you regarding this remark. I am very fond of this
> song,

Well, it's okay for a little commercial dity, but....

> especially the video (I would assume that you have seen it).

Which video do you mean?  The promo video is okay.  It's just very
flawed.  Kate portrays both personalities of the wife:  For the "boring"
personality, she is dressed all in black with a black veil and dances
erotically with a string bass.  Then, when she changes to the "exciting"
personality, she's a swords and sorcery warrioress dressed in this
really ridiculous outfit right out of Heavy Metal magazine.  I'd take
the "boring" personality any day!

> If I recall, it is this video which features Kate "making love" to an
> inantimate object - namely a cello.

This sure ain't the only one....

> Actually this brings to mind the film clip I once saw of a Christmas
> show Kate did for the BBC; in particular, Kate this time "strokes" an
> armchair in a most suggestive way while singing a Christmas song.

"December Will Be Magic Again".  Not a Christmas for little kids,
though, unless they live in Australia.

> Regarding the lyrics of "Babooshka", it appears that the song recalls
> a Victorian practice which was quite common among married women.
> During this time, women would write love letters to their husbands
> while assuming a pseudonym in an effort to test their "faithfulness".

I dunno if it was actually a common practice, but it's certainly some
sort of archetypal story.

> Incidently, what does the LoveHounds community think about SPIN, or
> the rock press in general?

I dunno about the rest of the Love-Hounds...  I subscribe to "Spin".
Spin's the best rag around I can think of, but that's not so great.  I
like "OPtion", but they refuse to talk about anyone that's on a major
label, and I think that's really obnoxious and brain-damaged.

				"Do you like Pina Coladas?"

				 Doug