Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Bush

From: CDONALDSON@USC-ECLB.ARPA
Date: 14 Nov 1985 21:32-PST
Subject: Kate Bush
Sender: CDONALDSON@USC-ECLB.ARPA

> [From Doug]
> Not to mention "Babooshka" in the least favorite category... (sorry
> Kate, not everything you ever did was perfection....)

I must disagree with you regarding this remark. I am very fond of this song,
especially the video (I would assume that you have seen it). If I recall,
it is this video which features Kate "making love" to an inantimate object -
namely a cello. Actually this brings to mind the film clip I once saw of a
Christmas show Kate did for the BBC; in particular, Kate this time "strokes"
an armchair in a most suggestive way while singing a Christmas song. Perhaps
others have seen KB videos with similar "performances".

Regarding the lyrics of "Babooshka", it appears that the song recalls a
Victorian practice which was quite common among married women. During
this time, women would write love letters to their husbands while assuming
a pseudonym in an effort to test their "faithfulness".

*** Attention Tim Wicinski !

      Perhaps you should *run* out and buy the latest issue of SPIN since
it features an interview with Bob Gould of everybody's favorite psyche-
power-pop-a-punk trio from the MinneApple (yes, that's what the locals call
their city in Minneapolis). Incidently, what does the LoveHounds community
think about SPIN, or the rock press in general?  I try to ignore the fact
that it is published by the Guccione Penthouse Empire when I buy it, because
I appreciate its coverage of "non-commercial" artists. Also, I find
the recent change in editorial policy at THE FACE to be very disappointing.
Furthermore, the Village Voice no longer features its monthly JOP & PAZZ
critiques poll. Yes indeed, the rag continues in its decline.

                                          Gerry