Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

on that anti-ed. rock music!

From: David Oskard <dno@cvl.UMD.EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 85 13:43:24 est
Subject: on that anti-ed. rock music!

	By the way, thanks Bill for your musical analysis of KB.  I don't
really have the time to examine it now, but if I ever want to do any KB
covers... :-)

As far as rock music and education is concerned, you don't need a brain to
appreciate good music--even esoteric music can have appeal that isn't
based on any kind of "knowledge" in the educational sense.  It goes deeper
than that, more primal (grunt).  Also, don't worry about important professor
types as far as their opinions as to the DANGER of rock music destroying our
society.  Your own opinion is as important as anyone else's.  Even though
it is good to hear someone who agrees with you, that doesn't make your
position any more valid.  You can *always* find somebody who will say what
you want to hear.  Just because the majority of profs. probably don't favor
rock music for personal reasons (this is a gross overgeneralization, but
even if most professors thought rock was educationally harmful), that doesn't
make them right by majority rule.  All positions on the value or harm of
rock music are based on assumptions of some sort or another, so which
set of assumptions we choose to believe, what twisted argument we make to
draw an equally twisted conclusion is arbitrary.  I guess since this is
Kate's mailing list I should mention her in this posting.  O.K. : Kate Bush!
yay.  there I said it.  later...

					David (dno@cvl.umd.edu)