Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

If everyone within the

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 85 16:40:04 EST
Subject: If everyone within the

sound of my voice would get off their butts and get at
least ten friends to write to their US congressman (you
can too, Stokes!) and ask, nay plead, that they vote
down the dollar tax on blank tapes proposal as a fraud and insult against the
music buying public maybe we could show the congress
that within this net resides a strong lobby of concerned
citizens.  Writing to your congressman includes a cc
to your senators also.  I am also suggesting you
write one to Sen Inouye of Hawaii as he has a close
relative involved in an up and coming rock band  recording on an independent and
may prove to be sympathetic to this travesty brought
about by heaps of misinformation and bedroom dealings
between the Recording Industry of America (RIAA), PMRC
(Parents Music Resource Center) and the PMRC legislative
and congressional ties.  Show RIAA that we can't/shouldn't/won't
allow yet another strong-armed lobby push us around.
Protest also by not buying any records with an explicit lyrics label on or
if you really like the music, get together with friends
and bootleg one LP on to jillions of tapes. If you are still feeling
guilty send some money to the original artist or better yet send it
to a struggling artist and get some new music in return.   But be
sure to buy your tapes before it costs an extra dollar
to do so.  Also, point out how this action will affect
independents who while they already offer tons of good
music at low prices could be hurt by having to raise
their prices.  This will go directly against the standard
US supply and demand theory by artifically inflating a
cost without any logical basis in fact.  So write another letter to our
honorable president telling him how RIAA/PMRC are screwing with our
"free" economy!!!!

PMRC has won round 1 and they can now go out and give
their already stinking rich brats tons of money to buy
non-labeled music so the mothers  won't have to
actually use their minds and listen to the music first.
They can now do their silly little aerobic twaddling
without fear of demonic or (G*d forbid) sexy music
sending their already dirty minds subliminal messages.
They can smirk knowing that they showed that "zappa clown"
a lesson for wising off at them.
If you didn't write your congresspeople the first time -
shame on you!  Write twice.  Send one for your unborn
children.  Gee, I could rave on like this forever
but I gotta go see if any Robyn Hitchkok tix are
still available................................

Why are you sitting there?  WRITE!!!!!!!!!
Show your leaders that you are not the apethetic
clowns they assume you to be.  Who knows?  Maybe
you'll get involved in more important life-death issues as a
result.  Maybe the 80's will truly be the US decade
afterall.   YOURE STILL SITTING THERE!!!!!!!

The above rantings and ravings were composed, typed
and completed on the writers own free time not on any
time belonging to his employers.  Other standard disclaimers
apply.  WRITE!

Let's beat the mothers of de-invention at their own
game!
p.s.  I'll try and get Inouye's address next Monday.