Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RUtH rhythm

From: Steve Tynor <gatech!gitpyr!tynor>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 85 16:38:17 est
Subject: RUtH rhythm
Posted-Date: Thu, 7 Nov 85 16:38:17 est

I can't believe I (a fervid Kate fan) am writing this and maybe this is the
wrong group of people to write this to, but I'm getting sick
of RUtH.  Doug says, 'Give it a chance, it's *perfect*!'.  Well, after
repeated listening (both at home and on the radio), I have the same
impression that I started with.  It's a lame song.  It's just too
repetative.  (Even the video (the one with Kate and friend dancing) is
repetative!  How many times do they repeat the stunt where he holds her in
his arms, she throws her legs up over and behind his back...   It's a neat
effect, just as certain aspects of the song are neat. (Kate's great backing
vocals ('eee-ohhhh'), and the 'come on baby, come darling' sequence)
Overall, however, it comes off as rather boring and repetative.  I'm (still)
dissapointed.  (help, i'm getting lost in nested parentheses!)]

There are other, more interesting songs suitable for singles on the album.
(Big Sky (tho not *much* better), Cloudbusting)  I hope that they are
released so that the public (and those nasty net.music (or is it
net.anti-kate?) people) can see that Kate Bush really *is* as good as Doug
makes her out to be. (though, perhaps, not quite so infalable...)

Though I can't confirm it (I'm not near my stereo right now), I believe the
drum pattern used in RUtH is identical to that used by the Beatles in 'Baby
You're a Rich Man'.  Can anyone confirm?

Semper ubi sub puri ubi.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor