Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Replies to Various Questions

From: allegra!ihnp4!jer@jerpc.PE.UUCP (Eric Roskos @ Home)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 85 16:34:40 est
Subject: Replies to Various Questions

Hello... due to messy capacitance problems in my phone line
while I was moving this weekend, my PC was unable to pick up
around 30 "Love-Hounds" postings from peora.  Therefore, I read
them while they were sitting in the UUCP queues, before they got
deleted.  I noticed a number of responses to prior postings of
mine, some of which asked questions.  Unfortunately, I can't
remember very many of the questions, but I'll try to answer
those I can, and apologize in advance for those I've forgotten.

1) "What is the Piltdown Man".  The Piltdown man isn't a "vocal
version of Tubular Bells," as someone said (though I do have a
LIVE version that came as a "special bonus" with an Airborne
tape, somewhere); rather, he is that voice on side 2 which sings
a lot of guttural sounds that sound like a wolf howling, someone
clearing their throat, and the words "Schigomowow, uf
donnawowown.  Flow. Flow.  Schugmop." etc. over and over.  (I
think the way he says "Uh? ... uh..." when the piano first
appears is really humorous, incidentally, though that whole part
of the album is a little too bizarre for anything other than
novelty, to me.)

2) "Why [Tim or Jim, I always get those confused] doesn't like
Yes... Do I understand the explanation given?" Yes.  Except for
"Hearts" and "City of Love," I don't like much of that album
either.

3) "Which musical parts did I mean when I said there were
recurring themes" (Doug asked this one).  Well, I'm not much
good at recognizing that stuff formally either, but it's fairly
obvious that "Hello, Earth" is some sort of variation on "And
Dream of Sheep".  When I first listened to it, I felt that there
were others, too, but now that it's become more familar it seems
harder to recognize them (since previously-heard parts tend to
reemerge more apparently in unfamiliar music).  Awhile back
someone said they were thinking of doing a thematic analysis of
some of the songs on there if anybody was interested... well,
I'd certainly be interested!  I'd like to see a comparison of
the above 2 songs, maybe, in order to understand a little more
about how they are similar and different.  I don't know beans
about music theory myself, and so am interested in hearing about
it.

I think there were some other questions about things I said, but
I forgot.  If I failed to clarify myself on some point, just ask
again!  And again, I apologize if I failed to reply to anybody.

					-- jer