Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the German part of "Hello Earth" again

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 85 21:54 MST
Subject: the German part of "Hello Earth" again

I tried for the first time to figure out what the first part says.  I
can't quite make out one part, but here's what I hear:

  Tiefer.  Tiefer.  Irgendwo in ?? Tiefe gibt es ein Licht.

The ??  sounds like "nah" or "ah", there should be an article there
(Tiefe is feminine, so I would expect a "der", but that's definitely not
there.)  This translates to "Deeper.  Deeper.  Somewhere in the depth
there is a light." (The only words I'm familiar with for "darkness" are
"Dunkelheit" and "Finsternis", neither of which could easily be mistaken
for "Tiefe".)

Jim Lippard (Lippard at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA)