Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"The Murder Mystery" on The Velvet Underground LP

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 85 19:45 EST
Subject: "The Murder Mystery" on The Velvet Underground LP

Does anyone out there know how to listen to this?  There are two sets of
lyrics:  one on the right channel and one on the left, simultaneously.
I've listened to them both separately, but I haven't figured out what
it's all about.  I did notice that on the first side of the album, in
the song "Some Kinda Love", Lou Reed sings "put jelly on your shoulder,
baby, lie down upon the carpet", and in "The Murder Mystery" Maureen
Tucker says "there is nothing on my shoulder" and there are other lines
about carpet stains (not to mention "Sister Ray" on the previous LP (later covered by Joy Division)).

Jim Lippard (Lippard at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA)