Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Letter to New York Times

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 85 02:15:51 edt
Subject: Letter to New York Times

This is a letter I just put in the mail....

					Doug Alan
					260 Sidney Street, Apt. 1
					Cambridge, MA  02139

Dear Mr. John Rockwell:

I enjoyed your review of Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" and Jane
Siberry's "No Borders Here".  You should know, however, that the
devotion of Kate Bush fans (like me) is legendary and one who says
that Kate's lyrics are "pretentious, vague and rambling" in print is
seriously risking his life.  I find them wonderful, complex,
meaningful, deep, powerful, and fascinating.  They are packed with
emotion, intelligence, metaphor, symbolism -- everything that one
could want -- no one's lyrics are better!

You are right, however, about her music.

Also, you say that her video for "Running Up That Hill" is "oddly
unimaginative".  To say this is to say "I have not seen the video".
Perhaps you have seen what they are showing on Empty-V?  That is not
Kate's video -- that is a clip from a live appearance on the Terry
Wogan show.  Kate's video is so unusual that Empty-V refuses to show
it.  If you live in the New York area, perhaps you should be watching
U68 instead.

Kate's video is a largely a work of modern ballet and is very
beautiful and highly symbolic.  For example, when Kate sings "Is there
so much hate for the ones we love?", Kate and the male dancer become
symbolically crucified on each other.  At the end of the video, Kate
drowns in a crowd of Kate Bush's -- symbolizing how we are forever
trapped within ourselves.  It is a masterpiece!

			Doug Alan

P.S.  I also would rather not see any more less than complementary
comments on Suzanne Vega!

P.P.S.  You could have selected a more dignified photo of Kate.
Everyone makes a mistake every now and then, and that outfit was one
of Kate's....