Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Witches, Mules, Katie logos

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 85 11:09:24 edt
Subject: Witches, Mules, Katie logos

> From: Barbara Petersen

>    Well, OK, even though you already gave away the answer....  not only did
>    my interpretation of the lyrics agree with the one you posted (vision of
>    KB as an old lady trys to convince her to stay alive), I also came up
>    with that explanation the very first time I read the lyrics.

I had an advance tape of the album for about a month before the album
came out, and it didn't come with lyrics.  I spent some time trying to
figure out the lyrics and wrote them down.  Unfortunately I got many of
the lyrics wrong, which led to some interesting misinterpretations.  I
couldn't catch the word "mirror" in "Jig of Life" and I thought one of
the lines was "Now is the place where the crystals meet", so I thought
that the old lady was a witch and was saying don't give up your
weirdness just because some people call you a witch.  It took a little
while to overcome some of these strange misinterpretations.

The best misinterpretation was "Cloudbusting".  Without the lyric sheet,
I thought it was a love song by a woman to a fugitive.  When I got the
lyric sheet and saw the lines "Oh God, daddy" and "You're son's coming
out" (which I had thought was "You're sun's coming out"), I thought for
a while that the woman was having an incestuous affair with her father,
who was a fugitive, and that she was pregnant with his son....

>     Regarding the use of the mule in "Get Out Of My House": I always
>     thought that KB used the mule not because it is supposed to be
>     sexless, but for its legendary stubborness.

That might be reasonable except that the guy also turns into a mule, and
it seems like a happy ending.

>    I know that the "K.T. logo" is supposed to be hidden somewhere on
>    each of KB's album covers, but, I have yet to find one of these
>    hidden logos, since I don't know exactly what I'm looking for!
>    Would someone in the know care to elaborate and/or give some
>    hints....

Look at the back cover of "The Kick Inside".  It's not even hidden
there.  (If you only have the CDs or prerecorded cassettes, don't bother
looking for the logos.)

			"There's a hole in the sky and a big eyeball
			 Calling me --"

			 Doug