Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vaseline and Pre-Raphaelites

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 85 10:01:54 edt
Subject: Vaseline and Pre-Raphaelites

> From: Henry Chai <chai%utflis%toronto.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

>> From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>

>> * "Wow" was about a failed homosexual actor and a starlet who sleeps
>> her way to the top.

> Aha! that's what "too busy hitting the Vaseline" refers to....

Uh.... what else would one think it refers to?  In the dance routine for
this, at this point in the song, Kate even bends over and pats her rear
end.  I would think Empty-V wouldn't show it for that reason, but I know
someone who saw "Wow" there....

>> * One wall of her dance room is covered in mirrors, the other
>> features a huge, gruesome painting of a baby doll, its head cracked
>> open, half-submerged in a pool of water.

> Anybody remember the interview of KB I posted on this mailing list? ;-)
> I believe this is the "satire of a Pre-Raphaelite painting" that
> was mentioned!

Yeah, it definitely is.  Nearly every interviewer comments on it.

-Doug