Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hawkwind

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 85 05:16:34 edt
Subject: Hawkwind

> From Eric:

> So I played it... but it was very disappointing!  It had this
> very ordinary rhythm, that went sort of bup-bup-de-bup over and
> over, and a sort of soft, staccato accompaniment, which sounded
> sort of like a vibraphone, and a woman singing what sounded like
> a jazz-influenced song.

Uh, I don't believe I've ever heard a Hawkwind song with a female
vocalist (and I have more than 15 of their albums).... Are you sure it
was Hawkwind?

Usually Hawkwind's music is nowhere as near as complex as KB's, but I
like lots of relatively simple music too.  Some of my favorite music is
just a guitar and a singer or a piano and a singer (Kate never does any
of those, does she?), though none of this describes Hawkwind.

Hawkwind doesn't do a lot of fancy stuff in the studio -- in fact they
sound nearly identical live as on studio albums.  A lot of their music
is very improvisational (and much of it isn't).  For the improvisational
sounding stuff, many of the members of the band get into some repetitive
groove and then a couple player twiddle around with what they're doing.
Hawkwind has a distinctive synthesizer sound in that (I think from what
I hear) they use those synthesizers that instead of having keyboards,
you twiddle around with knobs.  Their lyrics are often reminiscent of
Marvel comic books only more explicit and sinister.  Sometimes they take
take some ideas and thrash them to death, so some of their stuff isn't
all that great, but a lot of it is.

			"In the case of sonic attack
			 Survival means every man for himself"

			 Doug