Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Strange messages, Backward vocals, Pink Floyd, and Kate Bush

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 85 23:01:11 edt
Subject: Strange messages, Backward vocals, Pink Floyd, and Kate Bush

> From: Chris Yoder

[Regarding "The Wall"]

> I was so blown away by what I heard on the CD that I just couldn't control
> myself.

> I'm interested in what you hear, and what medium you hear it on first.

I heard "...we came in?" at the beginning of "In The Flesh?" and "Isn't
this where..." at the end of "Outside the Wall".  Pretty neat!  Thanks
for the tip!  It is perfectly clear on both the record and the CD (I
listened to the record first), though on the CD it is louder.

("Breathing" on the Greenpeace album also sounds like it's mixed
differently than on the record of "Never for Ever"....)

> Course, The Wall is undeniably my favorite album....

"Animals" and "Wish You Were Here" are better.  "The Wall", though, is
actually the album that got me into music.  Before I heard "The Wall"
when I was a senior in high school ('79) I listened to *only* The
Beatles.  As soon as I got "The Wall", Pink Floyd instantly toppled The
Beatles and became my favorite group.  I used to come home every day and
listen to the whole album with headphones on while poring over the
lyric sheet.

Then about 3.5 years later I heard "The Dreaming"!  And Pink Floyd
tumbled like a stone.... (into the sweet morning fog?)

And while we are on the topic of neat hacks....

There is a backward message on "The Wall" that says "Congratulations,
you have just discovered the secret message.  Please send your answers
to Old Pink, care of The Funny Farm, Chalfont."  Has anyone done this?

You know what's *really* neat?!?!  (Old time net.music readers will
already know this...)  On "The Dreaming" there is a two-way message that
is sung at the end of "Leave It Open".  When you play it forwards it
sings "We let the weirdness in".  And when you play it backwards it
sings "And they said they would not let me in"!  Not only does it say
something both forwards and backwards, but the backwards meaning is the
negation of the forward meaning!  I wish I knew how John Barrett and
Kate did this!

Now on "Hounds of Love", it sounds to me that there are all sorts of
backwards vocals.  (Kate once said that her favorite song is John
Lennon's "Number Nine Dream" and that she loves all the backward vocals
in it.)  There are backward vocals in "Watching You Without Me" and in
"Waking The Witch".  Unfortunately, these backward vocals still sound
backward to me when I play them backward!  Does anyone else have any
idea what they are saying?  Or is Kate just pulling a practical joke on
us?  On "The Dreaming", she put in singing that sounds forwards no
matter which way you play it.  And on "Hounds of Love" she put in
singing that sounds backwards no matter which way you play it?

There is another two way message on HOL, though.  In "Watching You
Without Me", right after the part that sounds backwards, there is
singing that sounds like "really see" repeated several times.  But when
you play this backwards, it *still* sounds like "really see"!

		"WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, Unbelieveable"

		 Doug