Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mission of Burma Review

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 85 13:41:20 edt
Subject: Mission of Burma Review

Mission of Burma - The Horrible Truth About Burma (Ace of Hearts Records, Boston
Mass).

I really don't have the album, just a tape of it (I avoid buying albums
as long as I can get a good bootleg copy of it. KB is the only
exception).  This album was recorded in New York, Chicago, and Boston
on their last tour in 1983 before they broke up. I saw that tour in
Washington, and was quite impressed by them.  Burma broke up because
Roger Miller (a stab) had ear problems that caused him to wear these
large headphones to block out noise.  A few of the members of Burma can
be found in Birdsongs of the Mesozic, another Boston band that picked
up where Burma was leading.  The album contains all unreleased material
not on their first two albums (okay, one album and one ep).  There
doesn't seem to be many vocals on the album, and where there are, the
mix seems to be muddled.  But the music speaks for itself.  There is a
lot of tape work, percussion, etc that sounds like their album "vs.".
For some to me, this album doesn't seem as accessable to me as either of
their other album. I'm not saying this is bad, but for someone who has never
heard of Burma, I wouldn't recomend it for them, I would suggest their
Signal, Calls, and Marhces ep.  But I would suggest this album for anyone
who has heard of Burma, and likes their music.

--
Ignorance of your culture is not considered cool !!

     Tim Wicinski, Naval Research Labs
     Arpa: wicinski@nrl-css
     Uucp: ...!decvax!nrl-css!wicinski